Timsbury

lyn

Stocking rainbows does seem a bit odd to me, especially since (illogically to my mind) there is a closed season for rainbows in rivers.

Closed seasons on mixed catch and release fisheries don't make much sense, really, do they? When the only difference between closed and open season is that during the closed season you are allowed to use far more effective methods but not to photograph the fish - I bet more Timsbury trout are caught on maggot by coarse anglers than are caught on fly by trout anglers!

Thanks for all this info, I honestly didn't realise there were so many contradictory arguements regarding game fish. Never realised rainbows were not a desired species despite a few 3lb/4lb+ fish I saw being stunning looking fish. How can anyone be expected to fish for Grayling only and not have a by-product catch, even in closed season? The trout were everywhere and although I used red/white maggot exclusively, others reported they took trout on bread, sweetcorn, casters etc etc. The only Grayling I caught was 8" long but I did catch brown and rainbow trout, salmon parr and I am right in thinking my photo is of a Salmon? (sorry if that sounds nieve) but I'm being to wonder if I did anything correct (according to set rules) regarding fishing that fishery, :rolleyes:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone, (Chavender perhaps), caught a "natural" Rainbow, from the Dove or wherever? I think they are found in some rivers in Scotland and the Coquet as well.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

I have heard it said that the race of rainbows which have been successful in establishing populations in the UK are spring spawning fish rather than the winter spawners which are commonly stocked. I don't know how true that is, though.

but I'm being to wonder if I did anything correct (according to set rules) regarding fishing that fishery, :rolleyes:

If you had fun and didn't smash any important rules (laws or venue regulations), then you did plenty of things correctly. If you caught fish, it was even better.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I don't think you did anything wrong in catching trout, I think we all did. It's pretty much unavoidable, anything that will catch grayling will also catch trout.

I've seen some trout anglers suggest that if you can't avoid catching trout, you shouldn't fish out of the trout season - they don't like the suggestion that in that case, if they can't avoid catching grayling and coarse fish they shouldn't fish for trout until June 16th! :P

i've had naturalised rainbows from the wye at bakewell but that was mostly by tickling and flipping them onto the bank by hand ,then selling them too the kitchens at the rutland hotel as a kid (as i went too school there ,i have had the odd small one from the dove when grayling fishing but these are suspected escapee's from a trout fishery ,i've also had rainbows from the derwent near matlock when chub & grayling fishing but not many they're out numbered by the brownies

all trout are easy too catch though ,they're like a cold ,sooner or later your going too get one if you use bait ,doesn't matter what bait they'll hit it ,if for no other reason than just too stop another fish from getting it ,they're just natually competative when other fish are about

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

at timsbury i had a small trout at first i thought it'd been knocked of by a big clump of weed ,but it was simply burried under it ,came in like a wet sock ,they don't like it with weed over them .but get one clean and they go mental leaping about and making a show of thenselfs .which just add's too the moment .

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Thanks for all this info, I honestly didn't realise there were so many contradictory arguements regarding game fish. Never realised rainbows were not a desired species despite a few 3lb/4lb+ fish I saw being stunning looking fish. How can anyone be expected to fish for Grayling only and not have a by-product catch, even in closed season? The trout were everywhere and although I used red/white maggot exclusively, others reported they took trout on bread, sweetcorn, casters etc etc. The only Grayling I caught was 8" long but I did catch brown and rainbow trout, salmon parr and I am right in thinking my photo is of a Salmon? (sorry if that sounds nieve) but I'm being to wonder if I did anything correct (according to set rules) regarding fishing that fishery, :rolleyes:

Looks like a small cock salmon in full breeding colours to me! Huge adipose fin, nice kype, sharp tail corners and a 'wrist', few spots below the lateral line and a shame you got your finger in the way of the gill cover (1-4 spots would confirm) :thumbs:

Don't worry about catching fish out of season accidentally mate. Just revel in the fact that you caught a nice fish. Fish don't read books or listen to the EA!

Edited by Worms

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Let me extend my warm thanks to Tony and Sue for organizing the event, and not to forget Lyn and her fantastic bacon sandwiches :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

It was great to see so many familiar faces again. It was a pity that the main river was more or less impossible to fish. Oh well, at least I ended up with a half decent grayling and a dozen or so of the unavoidable trout.

As long as many fisheries on Itchen and Test allow winter coarse fishing you will catch out of season trout. It is simply unavoidable and the fishery owners/managers are perfectly aware of this. If they want to avoid these by-catches all together they simply have to close the rivers , but I strongly suspect they won't as they are too dependant on the extra income.

Edited by Vidar6

Well as Anderoo said Im glad I did stick to my guns and not go! It wasnt easy though.Good old Rusty even offered to treat me the day as being skint was one of the reasons I didnt attend.Thanks again mate.

But Im kind of sad as the news about the slow carrier has made me realise that it will be even harder to justify going there again as the carrier and the promise of one of its big roach was a big draw.

Ive never been impressed with the actual fishing there though,the grayling too small and far to many trout but the place itself was/is magical.I really dont think (unless the conditions are good for a bit of fly fishing for the grayling) that I will be going there in the future.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!