converting a snapped tip section into a quiver rod

mike1234

the tip section of my match rod recently snapped off and up to now i have had no luck in finding a replacement section so rather than letting the rod just go to waste i am wondering about converting it.

but am not sure the best way of going about it, i have thought about cutting it to the right diameter for push in tips but this might be a bit tricky

or weather to get a permanent tip that feeds threw from the inside and whip eyes onto it

any advice someone a bit more experienced can offer would help out big time

mike.

Edited by mike1234

Depends really whether you want to continue using it as a float rod or would you want to make a quiver rod from it . Either way the tip of the rod is not the muscle part. In the case of the match float rod it becomes a responsive tool for quickly setting the hook and absorbing the jerking movements of smaller fish to prevent hook ejection and the quiver tip is mostly for bite indication although a fine quiver does help to self hook fish when it gets pulled under tension. Fine float rods used to have spliced in tips to create that hook setting ability but most now have hollow carbon all the way down the blank. To revert to float rod use you could adapt a carbon quiver tip of say 4oz rating and splice it in permanently or to convert the rod for quiver use cut the tip back to the right point for a push in tip and then whip where the join will be.

I'd choose a suitable quiver section, remove the eyes from it and slide it down the inside of the broken tip section so it can be pulled tight with about a half inch of the quiver wedged inside the tip section. If there's more than a half inch of quiver wedged inside the tip section, you'd have to remove the quiver and cut the break back a little in order to allow more of the quiver through. Once you're happy with the fit, remove the quiver again and then tidy the cut tip section and whip it for strength. Once the whipping has set, slide the quiver back in again and whip the quiver section eyes on. I probably wouldn't glue the quiver into place, in case you break it and have to replace it.

That's how I've seen it done.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

My friend has just made me a short overfit for one of my rods, I lost the top eye to it and can't find one to fit. He gets the tops that are cut off poles and whips from our local tackle shops and he also makes overfit quiver tips from them as well.

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

Those overfit quivers sound interesting Lyn.

This is the way I used to do it when I used to make my own rods in the 80s/90s.

gallery_13295_239_2276.gif

NB. If you just push in the tip from the thin end of your rod then it isn't such a good fit because of the larger gaps you can get between the blank walls, which is why I did it as in the diagram.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Those overfit quivers sound interesting Lyn.

This is the way I used to do it when I used to make my own rods in the 80s/90s.

gallery_13295_239_2276.gif

NB. If you just push in the tip from the thin end of your rod then it isn't such a good fit because of the larger gaps you can get between the blank walls, which is why I did it as in the diagram.

cheers i seen a method similar on an episode of go fishing a few years back

my local tackle shop isnt much use as the owner only seems helpful when there is a few quid involved, which is why i dont feel guilty about buying most of my gear online these days

thanks for the help

cheers i seen a method similar on an episode of go fishing a few years back

what this one ?

Youtube Video ->

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Does anyone know where I can get plain fibreglass quivertips. The only ones I can find are the screw in type.

Edited by Sportsman

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/