EA restock River Anker

Guest ALAN FAWCETT

Guest ALAN FAWCETT

Hi All

Just seen the local news & there was a report on the EA restocking the River Anker in Warwickshire.

over 10,000 fish have gone in after a pollution incident.

I don't know anything about this river but the pictures of it on the news report showed a beutiful looking river, does it flow into the Warks Avon & if it does did the pollution reach the Avon?

------------------

TROGG (Alan)

SACG/SAA 177 SACN 252

hehe i'm with the ANMC are you?

you are getting some fish up your way as well alan smile.gif

including some barbel

www.environment-agency.gov.uk/news/...rsion=1〈=_e

there is also a bit about the anker restock as well smile.gif www.environment-agency.gov.uk/news/189704?la ng=_e®ion=&projectstatus=&theme=&subject=&searchfor=&topic=&area=&month=://http://www.environment-agency.gov.u...c=&area=&month=://http://www.environment-agency.gov.u...c=&area=&month=://http://www.environment-agency.gov.u...c=&area=&month=://http://www.environment-agency.gov.u...c=&area=&month=

------------------

dave kennedy USSC Angling

ANMC Founder Member

[This message has been edited by dave k (edited 02 November 2001).]

Guest ALAN FAWCETT

Yep thats a good thing Dave (except i haven't got the licence to fish that area frown.gif)

There's a bridge just up from Izaak Waltons & thats where 90% of the Sows stock fish are put in.

I was at Pauls place when they did it one time & all you heard was a mass of splashing as all the fish swam past in the Sow at the end of his place.

There was also an illegal stocking of the Sow about 10/15yrs ago when a livestock lorry broke down on the motorway as it crosses over the Doxey marshes nature reserve in Stafford.

The Firemen & NRA decided to empty the fish into the Sow because the air supply had stopped working & the fish were begining to suffer, according to a bloke i spoke to he was fishing the Sow at the time & he reckons at least 20,000 fish went in (wonder if the had a section 30 tongue.gif) smile.gif

------------------

TROGG (Alan)

SACG/SAA 177 SACN 252

hehe i'm with the ANMC are you?

Guest TheDacer

I think the Anker is in North Warwickshire around the Tamworth area or is that the Mease?!??

The Anker might perhaps be near to the very upper reaches of the Warwicks Avon but I doubt whether the pollution incident there would affect the Avon itself.

The BAA card used to allow for some fishing on the Anker. I think they dropped it about three years ago. Which was a shame as it was a very pretty river.

Guest courtone

Hello Trogg

I just did a Google search and it seems that the polution was caused by a factory fire in Nuneaton, and the water from the fire got into the river and knackered it.

Cheers Keith

------------------

courtone

Guest Slug Salter

The Anker is a small river that starts somewhere near Wolvey (Where Makins is, infact it goes through Makins but can't be fished there) and flows through Nuneaton, Atherstone and ends at Tamworth where it goes into the river Tame. I'm unsure about the Tamworth end but most of it is very narrow, it's widest section as seems to flow through Nuneaton town center (you can't fish it here either, which is a shame 'cos there are some lovely Chub is the part by ASDA). There is a section that flows through the A5 near Atheratone that is free to fish and is said to have some nice Chub.

If anyone knows which part they've restocked, I'd love to know.

• 8 years later...

Oh No Not Again,………Well can you believe it, 9 years later and the same factory has had a fire and explosion (Yesterday 22/04/2010) and again all the fish are dead in the Anker from Weddington (Near Nuneaton) as far as Atherstone and most likely beyond. It was devastating to see the fish yesterday dead and floating down the river, this company needs to be closed down, they have not learnt any kind of lesson from before and no plan was put in place to stop contaminated water getting into the river.

Disgraceful, this is such a lovely little river with great fishing and well used locally.

I was planning my first day of the season on the Anker.

Angry is too light a word to describe my feelings, disgraceful, the full force of the law needs to be exercised.

:angry:

Link

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/nort...746-26301869/2/

Edited by bluerinse

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"