Where can I buy swinger hinges?

Anderoo

Yes, all good points. I don't think the extra weight (without the counterbalance) will matter too much with a light bobbin head. I realise that with a 2ft(ish) arm the weight of the bobbin head on the line will be a lot more than if it was a normal bobbin on a cord, but as it's for bream that's probably not much of an issue.

The rigidity of the arm could be a problem, but again, as long as it doesn't bend too much I don't really mind. All I want is something cheap that won't blow in the wind too much and goes up when a fish takes and comes down again if it's a line bite :D

(No doubt when I see your beautifully engineered super-swingers next season I'll change my mind!)

Bugger the beautifull engineered bit :o , I am looking for simplicity. I am moving more and more to the easier made and I reckon that something like this should be fairly easy to accomplish. Just have to make some special pins but should be able to turn down and thread from some standard st/st bolts. The main thing is ensuring that there is minimal lateral movement. Will also be able to use square section ali tubing which comes in standard 1 metre lengths and should be more rigid and easier to attach bobbin heads to. I shall still have a go at butchering a fox type one though :D

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't doubt you TT but what made you come to that conclusion ?

It does not matter how you do them or what you coat them with, they will not move as freely as a swinger. Anyway I thought that a heavy duty centrepin stand would be what you are looking for :D and no I am still resisting the temptation as yet. :headhurt:

Another problem with monkey climbers is the length of needle needed - if I'm fishing off a platform and want a 3-4ft drop, the needle would need to be over 10ft long!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Another problem with monkey climbers is the length of needle needed - if I'm fishing off a platform and want a 3-4ft drop, the needle would need to be over 10ft long!

LOL, You could have a screw in the end of your needle or make some other form of anchor for a platform.

Have you tried someone like Solar Tackle, I am assuming they are still around, they may be able to help.

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

Anderoo I reckon the best thing to do is follow your own advice that you gave me last year and just get some cheap swingers of Ebay and cannibalise them.I ended up doing just that and I reckon it was not only the easiest way but the cheapest.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Right, here is a simple design which will work and is not too difficult to make. The only tools required are an hacksaw, drill and a flat and round file. 1" ali bar is easily obtained. The most difficult bit is in filing the elongated hole to get the right movement on the arm but once you have got the first one right just repeat it on the rest. Adjustable alance weights are easy to make as they are just a length cut off bar with the right sized hole drilled up the centre and can be held in place with 'O' rings or you can do it as the commercially made ones are which have piece of hard rubber cord set in a hole which is drilled radially into the bore. I have now dispensed with the more complex arrangement and have ordered up a length of 1" square ali bar. I think that it covers the basics and strips down easily for storage. For the arms you could use various materials including wood doweling rod, carbon fibre, fibreglass or ali but I think square ali tubing is ideal which can be got from B&Q.

Anyway I thought that a heavy duty centrepin stand would be what you are looking for :D and no I am still resisting the temptation as yet. :headhurt:

Knowing you TT it won't be long before your resistance is low ;)

Right, here is a simple design which will work and is not too difficult to make. The only tools required are an hacksaw, drill and a flat and round file. 1" ali bar is easily obtained. The most difficult bit is in filing the elongated hole to get the right movement on the arm but once you have got the first one right just repeat it on the rest. Adjustable alance weights are easy to make as they are just a length cut off bar with the right sized hole drilled up the centre and can be held in place with 'O' rings or you can do it as the commercially made ones are which have piece of hard rubber cord set in a hole which is drilled radially into the bore. I have now dispensed with the more complex arrangement and have ordered up a length of 1" square ali bar. I think that it covers the basics and strips down easily for storage. For the arms you could use various materials including wood doweling rod, carbon fibre, fibreglass or ali but I think square ali tubing is ideal which can be got from B&Q.

Its early December and you guys are already planning your spring fishing? Damn you! I've started having ideas ... my wife will be furious!

Anyway, on the subject of swingers:

Would you mount the swinger under the alarm so it rises towards the reel or the other way around?

Do you think a hinge is absolutely necessary below the bobbin?

After much resistance last season, maybe I'll convert my bobbins into swingers.....

Its early December and you guys are already planning your spring fishing? Damn you! I've started having ideas ... my wife will be furious! Mine already is :D

Anyway, on the subject of swingers:

Would you mount the swinger under the alarm so it rises towards the reel or the other way around?

Do you think a hinge is absolutely necessary below the bobbin?

After much resistance last season, maybe I'll convert my bobbins into swingers.....

Richard, my own personal opinion is that it does not matter in principal whether you mount the swinger from either the front or rear bankstick providided that the bobbin sits mid way between two of the guide rings. The only time this would matter to me is if I was using bobbin with a gate latch mechanism in which case I would mount the swinger on the rear rest to ensure the line came away cleanly. With a ball or screw adjustable type bobbin then I do not think it matters and is downto personal preference. The only thing you have to watch is that the bite alarm registers and with some alarms you may need to have them tilted slightly to ensure that this happens. In my own opinion a hinge is preferable on a screw adjustable bobbin for the sole reason that it is always at right angles to the line and therefore true to the tension you have set it to.