Where can I buy swinger hinges?

Anderoo

My thoughts exactly! If you look carefully you will also note the version in the video has a bar which effectively stops any drop back indication!!! so in that form as much use as tits on a tank

Are you sure it stops drop backs. The stop does not come into play until the arm is in the vertical downward position. I now have a vision in my mind of a buxom camo clad vixen piloting a Chieftain :P

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you sure it stops drop backs.

Its the impression I got from the demo mate but Ive not actually played with one.Some guys on the PAC forum have them and they said theirs weren't the best for drop backs but that doesnt necessarily mean my interpretation is right.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

The amount of controlled dropback is limited to the length of the arm so I can understand others comments stating that they were not the best compared with others although this could be much improved with a longer arm. I do think that the principle is very good though and very simple in construction. I did play about with a clipless system but it put too much weight on the end of the arms and required too big a counterweight and I do not think that the bent arm as used in the video would work with long arm swingers. It is all interesting stuff though.

Zandabar...brilliant bit of design....now why didn't I think of that :) Answers all the questions, certainly the one which I spent mant hours trying to solve, namely a setup that does not grip the line. I loved the way he comments on "the rattle" when the indicator hits the rod or the back stop :) my dropoffs do that :)

The arm can drop right back, so no problem with dropbacks surely. I have used swingers of all sorts for years, and as long as they drop back to near vertical then you can't ask for more......even bobbins only drop back that far.

Can't even see a problem if the line drops right back, although maybe the wire that acts as a stop to stop the line could be made of "stiff" rubber? This would allow the line to pull free if (IF) it got around the back.

Good luck to the guy....................I shall spend a while in my workshop :)

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Are you sure it stops drop backs. The stop does not come into play until the arm is in the vertical downward position. I now have a vision in my mind of a buxom camo clad vixen piloting a Chieftain :P

No your right mate I'm talking bollix! Ive just re watched the video (its where the multi rod set ups shown towards the end) and the bar I thought stopped the arm from dropping back isn't part of the set up at all! I need my eyes testing.I can see why people said its not the best set up though as that's no doubt due to the fact that if you use the counter balance weight to make a lift as least resistant as possible that's going to make drop backs less vigorous.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

The beuty of the system is that you can set the weight to anything that you want to suit the conditions and this to my mind is no different to using a bobbin or anything else. For it to work effectively the line has to be in contact with the arm and as such is limited to the length of the arm. Once the arm has reached its lowest point there is no way of telling whether there is still contact with a fish or not or whether the bait has been dropped. That is the only downside as far as I can see. Having said that I think it is an excellent idea.

Tinca, no matter what setup you use, once a severe drop back occurs then no further indication occurs. the line will be slack and could (could) blow around and get caught on the various bits of wire, so hence my concern about the line getting caught up. I have seen this happen where the bobbin drops right back and spins/turns over/falls on its side, and the line gets caught around it.

I think maybe substituting the wire backstop with strong pole elastic might work ?

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Den, whilst I would not disagree with your general comment re a severe dropback, this does not always happen and the point that I was making was that with a short arm, the scope of indication is limited as opposed to a longer arm. With the various projections on the rollover design and with a severe dropback then I would certainly share your concerns about the line becoming entangled.