River Wear, Durham

Dan G

I'm up in Durham for Xmas and was thinking of having a mornings fishing. Was going to travel light with a few floats and shot, either trotting or touch legering. Are there any chub in the free stretch around the Ice Rink, Sands areas and if so, have i got the methods right? I was going to take a few lobs, some cheesepaste and bread... depending whether the river is up and colloured or low and clear respectively...

Any hints would be useful.

Thanks

Dan

Hello Dan

Yes theres chub to be had from the free strech theres barbel to be had from there too when the conditions are right but theres plenty of coarse fish of all species there to keep you busy, trotted maggots will work fine but I think the best chub fishing is hard on the bottom

If you contact John Hepworth via the Durham City AC website he'll put you right, he's a member of the chub study group and will help you out where he can, some of the best chub fishing is to be had on Durham City's waters and they go very big and can be fished on a day ticket but John's your main man I think for the Wear

Theres plenty of good chub fishing on the Tees if thats not too far from where you're staying and a lot of it is on free stretch's that hold good fish, if you need any help on the Tees just give me a shout and I'll come up with something for you

Hello Dan

Yes theres chub to be had from the free strech theres barbel to be had from there too when the conditions are right but theres plenty of coarse fish of all species there to keep you busy, trotted maggots will work fine but I think the best chub fishing is hard on the bottom

If you contact John Hepworth via the Durham City AC website he'll put you right, he's a member of the chub study group and will help you out where he can, some of the best chub fishing is to be had on Durham City's waters and they go very big and can be fished on a day ticket but John's your main man I think for the Wear

Theres plenty of good chub fishing on the Tees if thats not too far from where you're staying and a lot of it is on free stretch's that hold good fish, if you need any help on the Tees just give me a shout and I'll come up with something for you

Thanks Brian, thats really helpful - i'll drop John an email i explain where i got his name from. My in-laws live at Ferens Park, Durham so its a two minute walk to the river from their house. I have always only ever fly-fished the stretch and caught lots of trout and a couple of sea trout (plus a rogue monster dace on a GRHE!). Coarse fishing has always been second to the fluff chucking for me, but i do like the biting capability of chub on even the coldest day. I'll give it a go on the free stretch and let you know.

Incidentally, do you know who controls the fishing at 'Kepier Farm', right next to my in-laws garden?!

One side of Kiepers is syndicate and as far as I can remember the other side is Durham City AC fishable on a day ticket and kiepers holds some very big fish. I think durhams web site actually details their waters and the free fishing sections of the Wear around Durham so its well worth both a visit and a call to John Hepworth, he's a very amenable chap and very approachable

One side of Kiepers is syndicate and as far as I can remember the other side is Durham City AC fishable on a day ticket and kiepers holds some very big fish. I think durhams web site actually details their waters and the free fishing sections of the Wear around Durham so its well worth both a visit and a call to John Hepworth, he's a very amenable chap and very approachable

Thanks Brian - just sent the below to John. Hopefully he'll come back to me. I'd have no issue joing DCAC if it allowed me access to Kepier etc. I'll let you know his response, assuming i get one. Thanks again.

John, It was suggested that I contact you by Brian Carragher, a forum member on anglersnet.co.uk - I am based in London, but come up every month or so and love to get out on the Wear. My in laws live at Ferens Park in Durham City and I have been fishing the free stretch from the ice rink to Kepier farm boundary - always fly fishing, having caught a few trout, a couple of sea trout and a massive dace. This winter, chub are my focus and Brian suggested you were the man to ask? Does the free stretch contain chub and , if so, any hints? In addition, my in laws live next to Kepier farm which has private fishing signs on it. Do you know anything about the permits for this stretch - it was suggested your organisation might control day tickets on part of this stretch? Feel free to call me (number below) if its easier. Many thanks Dan

I'm pretty sure Brian's right and that it's a syndicate which controls fishing at Kepier Farm. It's been a few years since I've been a member, but so far as I recall, Durham's water ended in town, somewhere round Framwellgate Bridge, and didn't go anything like as far downriver as Kepier. However, John would undoubtedly be the best person to speak to regarding chub fishing on the Wear. If Brian can't find a number for him, you could PM him at Fishing Magic, where he's an active member.

It might also be worth looking at a coarse fishing ticket from Felling Flyfishers. They have two and half miles of fishing from the city down to Frankland Prison and if memory serves, a coarse ticket is very cheap (about £25, I think?). From the sound of it though, their water might be on the other side of the river to your in-laws!