What is my PC doing ?

Cranfield

Before asking the question on here I did email AVG Tech Advice, but despaired of getting a reply.

This morning I received a reply (7 days later), its a pity I don't understand half of it and would probably blow up my PC if I tried the half I do understand ( albeit vaguely).

"Dear Sir/Madam,

thank you for your email.

We are ready to help you with solving any issues with AVG and we would welcome your cooperation in order to find the cause of the reported issue.

With regards to your concern, we would like to ask you for some additional information, that will help us in finding cause of the issue. Please describe the behavior in more detail:

1. Is there an AVG test running at the time the slowdown is apparent (open AVG User Interface and check if there is running test displayed in the left part of the screen)?

2. Please open Windows Task Manager (shortcut CTRL+SHIFT+ESC, or right-click on the Windows tray), switch to tab Processes and sort the list by CPU usage (click on "CPU" header). Which processes are using the most CPU?

3. During which activities do you observe the slowdown (going through your files, browsing Internet, etc.)?

4. Does disabling of some components change the situation? Please disable only one component at time and check whether the slowdown still occurs:

- Resident Shield (double-click on Resident Shield component in AVG and un-tick the option "Resident shield is active" -> Save changes).

- Web Shield (double-click on this component and un-tick "Enable Web Shield" -> Save changes).

- Link Scanner (double-click on Link Scanner and un-tick all options -> Save changes).

- Firewall (double-click on Firewall and select "Firewall is disabled" -> Save changes).

- Do you use any other Anti-Virus or security product on your computer?

5. Please answer this e-mail using the attached 'runner' file:

- Save the attached "runner.avgdx" file to your computer (you can choose the location, however we recommend to use your "Desktop").

- Launch the saved file by double-clicking on its colored icon and the "AVG Diagnostics" tool will start automatically.

- Enter your e-mail address and a detailed issue description into the appropriate areas.

- Click on the "Diagnose and send results" button.

We will receive the data and contact you back with further information.

Thank you for your cooperation. It is appreciated.

Best regards,

Ali Akbar Che Yahya

AVG Customer Services "

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

I had a similar problem with as I said? A programme. I use AV from Nod 32 and while it DOES slow the PC down when it is scanning it is usually pretty much ok!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

I had a similar problem that I blamed my anti-virus software for. After a long time the computer packed in completely and it turned out it was a hardware problem all the time, a burst electrolytic capacitor on the video card. Replaced the card and it runs like new, after putting up with it running like a Sinclair Spectrum and cursing McAfee for six months!