alistairstuart

Hi all.

I am new to Anglersnet and a planned newbie to kayak fishing looking for some guidance. I am located in North Cumbria, so keen to hear from anyone local for sea fishing, especially kayaking.

There seems to be active kayak fishing groups in Whitby and North Wales, but is there anything similar in Cumbria or the west of Scotland I could hook (no pun intended!) up with?

As a newbie, I am very wary of the idea of buying a kayak, and paddling out to sea solo to start with!!

I have paddled conventional kayaks many times in the past, but have not used an SOT.

I do most of my sea fishing up the west coast of Scotland during the summer and am keen to get into kayak fishing.

I am 6ft 2in and 16 stones, so a little yak is no good. Have been offered an Islander Strike at a good price, but cannot find any sort of review - anyone out there own or tried one?

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Hi. Can't help with the Yak info but just wanted to offer you a welcome to the site.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi alistair

I want to help you find the right kayak, but can't think of one. What I can recommend is to do a bit research on the net. With the vast database of knowledge, reviews and products you are sure to find the perfect kayak at a very low price. Do some research and find about 5 different kayaks that you want to try out. Take the list to your nearest kayak or water outfitter shop or kayak rental company and try these 5 kayaks out. Paddle a few minutes with each and try them out.

After you found one or two that you like, search the internet or visit a water outfitter shop, again and compare prices between the 2 or 3 kayaks that you like. This way you will be able to buy a kayak that is best for you. Just remember to keep in mind all the extra's that you can get buy extra with your kayak e.g. RodPods, to keep your rods in place, paddle straps etc. etc.

Hope you will find the perfect kayak soon.

Happy hunting