It's getting colder so when is it not worth fishing?

Dales

It's starting to get a tad nippy at the moment and was wondering how this will effect my fishing results.

In reality I fish when I can which is the weekends and often will still go out no matter how bad the weather is.

However I am getting older and the thought of blanking and freezing at the same time does not seem as appealing as it used to and thinking back I have never caught a great deal while it has been very cold. So I was wondering now it feels like winter is here are there days when I am better off staying at home then going fishing because it is just to cold to catch anything? Am I better waiting for the odd mild weekend to come along.

So at what temperature would you decide it is just not worth the effort. I am kind of more interetsed in Pike and Perch at this time of year but I am sure others would be interested in when its time to pack in the Roach or Chub fishing. Or are all these "winter species" catchable no matter how bleak the weather is.

It just seems that in winter you have to work twice as hard for half the reward, but the prize does feel all the more sweeter for it.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Christ, Dales!

All these years and I've been wondering why they (them oop norfff) call us southern softies. :o

I pretty much pack up freshwater fishing in the spring, usually starting again in late October. Can't stand summer fishing because everything seems so lethargic.

You'd be surprised just how active most species are in the winter months.

Get some good thermals and help to restore our reputations. :D

I haven't been out since september due to new job giving me lots of work to do and my rugby playing commitments!! It has been even more frustrating taking the school team out on wednesdays but not being able to join in!! It is going to be freezig this weekend but I am venturing out this sunday to my club's silver fish pool and going to nail a good number of roach, I can feel it!! I am really confident of bagging some great sport on casters, chopped worm and pinkies!! Who knows the odd chub and bream may fancy a nibble!!

This time last year when I finished work for christmas I was catching crucian carp on the drop while my seat box was slowly freezing to the ground!!

You will be surprised how much you can catch, especially roach, they are ravenous this time of year on club pools and commercials!!

wait wait wait, dip, strike, net, wait wait wait.....

So at what temperature would you decide it is just not worth the effort.

My honest answer to that is when the rod rings freeze and trotting becomes impossible. I've started out early on days when the rings have frozen and I've had no choice but to sit in the car and wait for a bit, still caught grayling though.

I think the wind chill factor is the main problem for me. Our Barton Court day earlier in the year was during a really sh*tty snowy cold spell but the day itself was still and sunny, the venue was beautiful. Had it been blowing a gale in my face I would not have got out of bed.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

My honest answer to that is when the rod rings freeze and trotting becomes impossible. I've started out early on days when the rings have frozen and I've had no choice but to sit in the car and wait for a bit, still caught grayling though.

I think the wind chill factor is the main problem for me. Our Barton Court day earlier in the year was during a really sh*tty snowy cold spell but the day itself was still and sunny, the venue was beautiful. Had it been blowing a gale in my face I would not have got out of bed.

No excuse for rod rings freezing thats just a better time to head for those Grayling. :D Always carry a small jar of glycerine in your pocket it instantly stops rod rings freezing for a good 2 dozen trots before having to reapply.

No such thing as too cold for fishing, if you wrap up well and have the correct gear then unless its an absolute blizzard you can fish all year round.

I dont know southerners for you....lol ;)

A Scotsman in Yorkshire...http://traditionalfloats.blogspot.co.uk/

Too cold? Not worth the effort? Dales, man up, you're giving AN a bad name :D

Here are a few snaps from last winter - tell me it's not worth the effort to spend a few hours in such incredible beauty! The dace and chub were more than happy to nobble a few trotted maggots. At times it was actually warmer standing in the water in wellies than being on the bank :o

post-8161-1260906732_thumb.jpg

post-8161-1260906741_thumb.jpg

post-8161-1260906759_thumb.jpg

Love it!

One last one:

post-8161-1260906870_thumb.jpg

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Anderoo a man after my own heart :) nice pics also mate, cant ask for a prettier setting than a river in the winter :)

Seems some southerners tough it out...lol ;)

Edited by George387

A Scotsman in Yorkshire...http://traditionalfloats.blogspot.co.uk/