Steve Coppolo's Vision

Elton

I read a few magazine articles yesterday, one being Steve's latest piece in Boat Fishing Monthly. Steve takes a look into the future at the mass of restrictions that could be imposed upon us in the next decade, along with their accompanying fines. It's a bit of a tongue in cheek article, but I can see what he's getting at.

That evening, I logged onto Facebook and saw the following comment at the top of the page from a fellow BFM contributor....

"...just paid my dues to the US Courts Central Violations BUREAU for getting caught Redfish fishing in a fking BIRD SANCTUARY of all things."

Steve - I think you need to change your date from 2020 to 2010 :D

The ironic thing is, a lot of anglers who seem to want restrictions placed on sea angling come up with the same old chestnut; "In America.....". Well, I'm told that 'in America', anglers are now getting booted out of MCZ's left, right and centre. From an angling perspective, there doesn't seem to be much point to having more and larger fish if you're not even allowed to fish for them.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't read the article, however, even if it is tounge in cheek a lot of it will be near the mark. I do fear that a lot of guys who think that by joining in with all these mcz'ies, all will be well. It won't. Most if not all of these ngo's are looking for ntz's without any proof that they will provide any benifits and without any evidence that anglers are part of the problem, to be excluded, that is what you will be part of.

This is a waste of space excercise that don't deal with the one issue that is important, more and bigger fish. Rome burns while you are fiddling.

Five years lundy has been run and there ain't no more and bigger fish are there. Wrong place was picked? And there will be many more like this.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

It would be interesting to hear what Newt has to say. In the past he sounded like he supported changes as his USA experience was positive.

Is there any way we can get a look at Steves article online or get the list of restrictions he mentions posted on here.

I think you'd need to get hold of a copy of BFM, to be honest. I'd ask the editor, but he's on holiday at the moment.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

From an angling perspective, there doesn't seem to be much point to having more and larger fish if you're not even allowed to fish for them.

Larger fish tend to lay more eggs and those eggs have a higher survival rate than those of smaller females. The difference can be quite astounding with some species.

How can it be a bad idea to have protected areas that contribute more and healthier fry that are free to roam wherever when they get larger?

I wonder about the person who was surprised at getting a fine for fishing in a no-fishing area but I suspect he will not make the mistake again.

I also doubt it is a coincidence that the fishing off the coast of Florida where there is a sea fishing license required is somewhat better tan that of the other States with coastline along the Gulf of Mexico that do not require a license.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Larger fish tend to lay more eggs and those eggs have a higher survival rate than those of smaller females. The difference can be quite astounding with some species.

How can it be a bad idea to have protected areas that contribute more and healthier fry that are free to roam wherever when they get larger?

I wonder about the person who was surprised at getting a fine for fishing in a no-fishing area but I suspect he will not make the mistake again.

I also doubt it is a coincidence that the fishing off the coast of Florida where there is a sea fishing license required is somewhat better tan that of the other States with coastline along the Gulf of Mexico that do not require a license.

I couldn't agree with your sentiments more Newt.

The problem in the UK is the way that legislation is "dumped" on anglers. As you may have gathered from some of the RSA/MCZ posts, patience with sea angler "representatives" has worn a bit thin over the years. Also, the consultation process, although potentially well meaning and in my view a good idea, doesn't get advertised to the right people (anglers)!

I don't know how anglers are represented in the States but in the UK it seems that unelected bodies can pop up and claim the voice of all anglers without so much as a by-your-leave. Hence the annoyance at proposals that could be beneficial to anglers over time.

The voice of anglers needs to be spread by anglers...........let's do it :thumbs:

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Any of you real anglers who have seen what i have seen through the years of total deverstation by the commercial fleet look by in disamy when you see whats on the horizon for us anglers the whole thing is total ****s you will never get back bigger fish in number as long as there is still the commercial pressure as what we have today it just wont happen how will they be left to take it down the line some thing has to break in 30 years or so its being flogged to death total over fishing why wont the real problem be adressed because its just to senseative.

paul.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Any of you real anglers who have seen what i have seen through the years of total deverstation by the commercial fleet look by in disamy when you see whats on the horizon for us anglers the whole thing is total ****s you will never get back bigger fish in number as long as there is still the commercial pressure as what we have today it just wont happen how will they be left to take it down the line some thing has to break in 30 years or so its being flogged to death total over fishing why wont the real problem be adressed because its just to senseative.

paul.

Hello Big Cod

No mention of "total devastation by the commercial fleet" on your Webb site.

"Boat Fishing at Whitby is Paul's passion and he says "There is some top fishing to be had from Whitby - probably better than anywhere else in the UK".

There is no sign of total devastation further south we'll have to recommend Harwich as the premier Cod Port from now on then.

You do angling or your self no favours making such comments, it plays straight into the hands of the environmentalists you are trying to ovoid.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Guest challenge
Hello Big Cod

No mention of "total devastation by the commercial fleet" on your Webb site.

"Boat Fishing at Whitby is Paul's passion and he says "There is some top fishing to be had from Whitby - probably better than anywhere else in the UK".

There is no sign of total devastation further south we'll have to recommend Harwich as the premier Cod Port from now on then.

You do angling or your self no favours making such comments, it plays straight into the hands of the environmentalists you are trying to ovoid.

Absolutely and totally agree with those words wurzel. Something I have been saying for years on this forum.

How can Paul say there is massive pressure on fish stocks in this area from the commercial fleet when he knows only to well that the commercial fleet has been cut tremendously in the past few years.

How can he say that commercial fishing has decimated the local fisheries and then report that Whitby is a prime recreational fishing port for anglers? I totally agree with him that Whitby is a great angling port.

So don’t knock commercial fishing because of it. The commercial fishing industry doesn’t knock you Paul. Let me just say that regardless to what the administrator of this forum suggests http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/in...p?topic=13250.0 ironically on a forum that he doesn’t allow me to defend myself on. I am not commenting in anyway on my present day occupation. All the comments I make on this forum have absolutely nothing to do with my position. I have been on this forum now for years, long before I was employed in my current employment. I worked for a charter boat company for many years and I was also connected to the commercial fishing industry and that is why I contributed to this forum then and why I still contribute today.

I believe that it is totally out of order for somebody else to take and manipulate comments from this forum onto a forum that he knows I cannot defend myself on to try and cause trouble for me with my employers.

As I have said many times Paul can say what he wants about whatever he wants, because he can defend himself whenever he feels like it. On this and other forums. My comments of “give it a rest” was meant as a response to the many times he has said the same to me and nothing whatsoever to do with me trying to stop him commenting on anything said if my words where taken out of context by Paul, then I am sure he is quite capable of defending his own statements like he has done many times in the past.

Regards.

Edited by challenge

and he says "There is some top fishing to be had from Whitby - probably better than anywhere else in the UK".

Wondered what i was doing wrong as i spend time and effort in trying to raise some of me pb's. I was fishing in the wrong sea. :doh:

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..