Steve Coppolo's Vision

Elton

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if the fish are on the 3 mile or closer it makes sense to fish there where the fish are but its nice to know if you need to steam out a bit further to find fish for paying customers then its good to have the extra horsepower when needed

Some of the ground, and I'm thinking of the Wall is some 25 mile from port so if its a case of a three hour steam there and the same back it sort of cuts down on your fishing day but if you can put the welly down and get there a bit quicker then it means more fishing time for the party but each day and differing conditions will dictate where and when the grounds are fished

A bit like the fast boat that he works. He bought the boat so that he could steam distance at speed to get maximum fishing time on offshore wrecks. Price of fuel went through the roof and suddenly hay presto we have a great fishing anywhere inside of the 3 mile. Regards.

:D

Don't think that this was the wisest of posts given the debate elsewhere, it might be better and more sensible if you were to edit it and remove it

Well if the fish are on the 3 mile or closer it makes sense to fish there where the fish are but its nice to know if you need to steam out a bit further to find fish for paying customers then its good to have the extra horsepower when needed

Some of the ground, and I'm thinking of the Wall is some 25 mile from port so if its a case of a three hour steam there and the same back it sort of cuts down on your fishing day but if you can put the welly down and get there a bit quicker then it means more fishing time for the party but each day and differing conditions will dictate where and when the grounds are fished

Happy christmas brian and everybody else on the forum you are so right why steam over fish distance means nothing most of the time its all down to water clarity and tide you wont find a richer peice of ground than that on the 3 mile off whitby you will get the same anser of any trawler skipper he will tell you just the same i wouldnt mind haveing a penny for every cod caught there in the trawl or come to that on hook and line either angling or long lineing but its like everything it helps to just to be in th e right place at the right time.

paul.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

So Big Cod not devastated at all it seems, not even close to devastation.

There is some nice fish there Peter but in comparison to how it used to be its crap. Whitby still has the potential to draw anglers from across the UK, the fact that Paul and a few others like Rich on Shytehawke are booked every good weather day, 12 months of the year is testament to that, if the fishing was finished then people wouldn't pay £50 to be taken out there for 10 hours. But on the other hand anyone who has known Whitby for 20 or 30 years will tell you of the demise. Anyone who fishes the port but not sure what I'm talking about just needs to look above the counter in the rods and reels fishing tackle shop when they call in to pick up their bait and lures. Up there are the pictures of catches made by the shop owner from the Dark Island boat back in the early 80's. When you see those pictures and you realise what the fishing was like, it is enough to make you weep. The trend has been a downward one since those times, so lets not play silly little games Peter as you know as well as I do that unless something gives then the whole thing is shafted for us all. A large percentage of sea anglers are fed up to the back teeth with the local trawlers who have all but ruined our sport in the name of greed.

Guest challenge
So Big Cod not devastated at all it seems, not even close to devastation.

Anything but, there are plenty of boats all along our cast who have had a fantastic years angling. You only have to look at the festivals results to see that most boats no where to find the fish.

Anglers who I have talked to and boat users have commented on yet another good season angling.

There have been halibuts caught again this year and an ever growing kayak fishing that is growing every year.

With less pressure being put on fish (from the commercial sector) I would say about a reduction of 75% over the past 10 years then things should get better and better over the next few years. There has been plenty of fish caught on the inshore grounds and Whitby’s offshore angling boat goes from strength to strength. Some of his catches have been outstanding with bigger fish being caught year after year.

I took anglers to sea back in 73 there was a lot of fish about then with a lot of anglers chasseing that fish. Let’s all stop knocking angling and instead look forward to a prosperous and enjoyable new year.

Regards.

Wondered what i was doing wrong as i spend time and effort in trying to raise some of me pb's. I was fishing in the wrong sea. :doh:

I agree that many of these marine protected areas will be wrongly sited and the only people that really have the experience to advise where they should be sited are some of the top commercial fishermen, but they will never cut their own throats and who would blame them? This all being left to a bunch of scientists and Natural England is a potential nightmare!

There is no doubt that 40-50 years ago before we had trawls with rockhopper footropes and the capability both technologically and electronically to plaster every wreck and bit of hard ground with fishing gear there were plenty of mczs occuring naturally, but since the 70's the whole system has taken a severe hammering. I do not blame commercial fishermen that was how the industry was and I was a part of it with my role in gear development and training. When we look at the decimation of the UK coastal fleet, and the significant reduction in effort ofver the last 15 years the recovery is slow, and the concept of the mcz is a sound one if it is in the right place and affects the real fish killers.

We do need to be talking about where fish spawn on mass and is this in the coastal zone for our key species or are we being hoodwinked by the environmental scientist many of whom have hardy been around long enough to know a fishes eye from its A---hole

Cleeclive