Angling Trust Forum

Elton

Steve,

With regard to eels, measures to control commercial fishing for eels are also proposed in parallel to the ban on recreational angling. The Environment Agency will stop issuing marine eel licences, reduce the number of licences for freshwater commercial eel fishermen and toughen up conditions for those that are allowed. A closed season will also be imposed to further reduce commercial eel fishing.

We can only push for these measures if we are seen to be doing our bit, and eel populations are in such a terrible state that it really is unacceptable for them to be killed if they can be returned alive.

All best,

mark

Mark

I know, I read it. What does it mean, though? I'll refer you to the comments I made on the Eel thread;

"The way I read it, as well as the proposed restrictions on anglers; "Further controls on commercial eel fishing are planned by stopping the issue of marine eel licences, reducing the number of freshwater commercial eel licences and toughening up conditions for those that are allowed, and imposing a closed season for commercial eel and elver fishing."

That could mean that no more marine eel licences will be issued, but what about the ones that have already been issued? Are marine eel licences issued annually, or are they issued for life?

The number of freshwater licences being reduced means there will still be some.

Toughening up on conditions for those that are allowed, means what, exactly? It won't be a ban on taking eels, as in the toughening up of conditions that apply to anglers.

And when will the close season be? When the fishermen catch most of their eels, or when there aren't any in the rivers?"

Anyway you dress it up, Mark, it's ban on anglers taking a few eels to eat or to use as bait, while commercial netting for eels and elvers continues. If the AT can't, or won't, defend anglers against this sort of thing, what is the point?

By accepting these ridiculous restrictions on anglers, you are decreasing the likelyhood of any real issues being addressed.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair play to Mark for coming on here :thumbs:

I can well understand the catch 22 situation you find yourself in. However, as long as the AT's aim is to 'represent our membership' I feel that it's failing in its primary task - to represent and support all anglers.

Represent is a key word, and it will be interesting to see if that's what happens. So far I as an angler feel very unrepresented, and I know that if I paid my £20 I would not suddenly feel any differently.

There also appear to be some pretty unpleasant personalities involved.

I also dislike the fact that I can no longer pay my subs to the ACA, as I used to do. I don't want part of my money going to an organisation that shares few of my values. Why they two could not have remained separate I'n not sure, unless simply to try to force people to join up. I don't like that.

Having a closed forum, although I understand why that was the easiest choice, is a bad idea. If only members can post, you have very self-selecting topics and responses, and not the views and opinions of all anglers, whom you should be representing.

Sorry Mark, I'm in the wait and see camp.

By the way, it's refreshing that Gred Whitehead has solved the otter 'problem' (see old topics on the Fishing Magic forum) and is keen to get stuck into this. As a voice of the other AT, he certainly knows what's best for us.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

By the way, it's refreshing that Gred Whitehead has solved the otter 'problem' (see old topics on the Fishing Magic forum) and is keen to get stuck into this. As a voice of the other AT, he certainly knows what's best for us.

Have you got a link to that Anderoo? i couldn't find it. I wonder if it's a similar solution to the one that he e-mailed me about?

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Guest challenge

There was unrest in the forest; there was trouble with the trees.

Because the maples want more sunlight, but the oaks ignore there please.

Now there’s peace in the forest because they’ve passed a noble law,

And the trees are all kept equal, by hatchet axe and saw.

There was unrest in the forest; there was trouble with the trees.

Because the maples want more sunlight, but the oaks ignore there please.

Now there's peace in the forest because they've passed a noble law,

And the trees are all kept equal, by hatchet axe and saw.

Rush - Hemispheres. Great group, great album :thumbs:

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Have you got a link to that Anderoo? i couldn't find it. I wonder if it's a similar solution to the one that he e-mailed me about?

I'll try to find it again - it was all about the time when they were changing to their new site so hopefully it's still there. Amazing stuff.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Did you mention fishing H A , in the uk's waters, i would be up for that. Channel, top, middle or bottom, western approaches, or just a little bit further, out in the atlantic to make it a bit interesting, or would you prefer site of land.

Don't want to detract from a half serious thread; but you wouldn't have a hope in hell anywhere in the world.

Bermuda will suit me .....

but you have to do your own set-ups and hook your own fish.

Sometimes, I think these rather useless conversations would be better settled on the water.

Unfortunately some of you talk more than you fish.

:D

Don't want to detract from a half serious thread; but you wouldn't have a hope in hell anywhere in the world.

Bermuda will suit me .....

but you have to do your own set-ups and hook your own fish.

Sometimes, I think these rather useless conversations would be better settled on the water.

Unfortunately some of you talk more than you fish.

:D

H A.................................. cods. :bleh:

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

I'll try to find it again - it was all about the time when they were changing to their new site so hopefully it's still there. Amazing stuff.

Is it this one Andrew?

http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/barbel-...our-fish-6.html

Greg Whitehead comes in about post 55.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Is it this one Andrew?

http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/barbel-...our-fish-6.html

Greg Whitehead comes in about post 55.

John.

This is the one I was thinking of, John: http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/general...-reporting.html

Settle in for a long read :D

Sorry to go a bit off topic, but it may throw a bit of light on the wider picture, who knows.