Angling Trust Forum

Elton

Oh, and forget any ideas that yourt objections will be heard. Although we have until the 20th January to get them in, the new byelaws will come into force on the 15th!

Steve, I think that the 15th Jan is just the date for the commercial eel fishing byelaws. I checked the angling part of the EA site and couldn't find a definitive date for that legislation other than the comments to be in by the 20th Jan........Who knows?

Interesting dates for the close season on commercial eel fishing aren't they?........When there are least fish around!

Unfortunate that they are not increasing the amount of money to police the new byelaws too!

I wonder if they'll inform all of the farmers etc. of the new requirements for the mesh barriers on their irrigation pipes etc. before finding someone to prosecute!

All of these limitations and still allowing export of the critically endangered eel as well. :angry:

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of these limitations and still allowing export of the critically endangered eel as well. :angry:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/environment/news...jectid=10619344

With growing awareness of the eel's plight around the world, and increasing public concern about their commercial exploitation, I can see the trade in eels finally ending in the not-too-distant future.

But whether that will be because of regulation, or the absence of eels is probably a neck-and-neck race.

It's very much up to anyone who finds such trade distatestful to press for agressive action, before who is and who isn't allowed to take eels becomes nothing other than an acedemic argument.

With the species in so much trouble, every eel and every day counts

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Steve, I think that the 15th Jan is just the date for the commercial eel fishing byelaws. I checked the angling part of the EA site and couldn't find a definitive date for that legislation other than the comments to be in by the 20th Jan........Who knows?

Interesting dates for the close season on commercial eel fishing aren't they?........When there are least fish around!

Unfortunate that they are not increasing the amount of money to police the new byelaws too!

I wonder if they'll inform all of the farmers etc. of the new requirements for the mesh barriers on their irrigation pipes etc. before finding someone to prosecute!

You may well be right about the date, Worms. I'll check it out. It was a long conversation on the phone last night, it was late and I was very angry. Still fuming this morning. Even if the date isn't regarding the banning of anglers, the writing is on the wall for those who want to see it. Especially as the ban has been supported by angling's one and only representative body.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

oh, please. Enough of the romantic claptrap.

Anyone accepting and even supporting a ban on anglers taking a few eels is directly supporting the commercial elver and silver eel fisheries and diverting attention away from the issues that are really responsible for the decline in eel stocks.

Typical bloody eco warrior. Ban everyone, anyone, regardless of whether it will have any effect. And all the while the real issues go unaddressed. Moral high ground? Don't make me laugh.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Steve and Barry, Have you ever heard of the term "White Noise"?.

I have Bob.

It's often used in emergency vehicle sirens, so it can be heard above the the usual mundane noises.

Or did you mean the film 'White Noise'? The one where it's used to prove the truth about a death, and reveals the existence of the "bad ones on the other side". A good film.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

With growing awareness of the eel's plight around the world, and increasing public concern about their commercial exploitation, I can see the trade in eels finally ending in the not-too-distant future.

But whether that will be because of regulation, or the absence of eels is probably a neck-and-neck race.

It's very much up to anyone who finds such trade distatestful to press for agressive action, before who is and who isn't allowed to take eels becomes nothing other than an acedemic argument.

I would have thought that you'd have learnt your lesson by now.

I've lost count of the number of times that you have raised anglers hopes over conservation issues, and played down the threats presented by the slap dash efforts of you and your band of amateur conservationists.

How was the Tope run off of Sun Pier this year?

Still think the RSA Strategy is only a loose framework, despite councillors eyeing it up as a mechanism to impose unwarranted restrictions on anglers?

Have the Thornbacks died out, proving the contraction theory you bandied about?

Still reckon the Cod fishing in the SE is only good for one, maybe two, year classes?

Labour's Charter for angling going to come good anytime soon? We're fed up waiting.

CEFAS three year study into RSA catches still a good idea?

I could go on, but people like Bob Bradford simply cover their ears.

The new Eel legislation is a farce, drawn up so as to avoid EU financial penalties and represents the bare minimum necessary in an effort to avoid embarrassment.

IMO, if you had one ounce of credibility left, you would publicly be tearing the SI apart, line by line, and highlighting this tactical charade for what it really is.

The rot set in for the eel populations around 1980. I was a part time commercial eel fisherman from around 75 working up to 100 fykes in North Lincs and the Humber. From March to July we would hammer the drains taking the upstream runs on the dark moon phase. A lot of these were small males and prior to the early 80s we would riddle the catches and return any small eels less than 4oz to a pond to fatten up. The main buyer Khoman's Vishandel found markets in Souther Europe as eel farming started in the early 80's and used to pay us around 50p a Kg for them, so we used to sell them to cover expenses.

10-15 years later we began to see the damage that had been done, and I am sure that this was happening all over Europe. By the mid 90's I gave it up as the catches were not there to warrant the time and expenses.

I guess the new legislation is closing the stable door after the horse has bolted as usual.