Centrepin advice needed.

Andrew Boyd

Hi

I know this topic has been bashed to death before . . .

I'm hoping to get some cash for Christmas, if I do I'm looking to get a Centrepin.

Budget (hopefully) £100 to £150 and would prefer new.

I'm looking at . . Okuma Trent ( £99 ), Anglers net centrepin (£140 ), Youngs Aerodex y2900 (£150).

I prefer new rather than used and from my research belive I will be better with a wide rather than narrow spool.

Use, for Mullet fishing at short range, max casting distance 20 feet ( I'll practice my wallis once I have the reel ). So mainly salt water, I have no issues with this as I have Shimano reels I have used for 6 years or more in the sea with no problems ( I wash my rods and reels after each trip ). Line 6 to 8lb.

I have no knowledge of either of the above, the Youngs get some good and bad reviews ( hence thinking of the Okuma ). All I know of the Anglers net model is that Leon has one and has a friend that sold his (?) which raises a question mark, also not so keen on having to use a screwdriver to remove the spool.

Yes I would like a 'HBE Singularis' but it's a bit out of my range.

Andrew Boyd

For the use you're going to put it to I would sugest an Okuma Aventa Pro or an Okuma Sheffield. Both are well made and bombproof. The Trent has the drag thingy which is a bit OTT if you ask me, I think its because the reels are used a lot by American steelhead anglers. A friend of mine has the Youngs Aerodex and both he and myself prefer my Okuma Sheffield (although the Aerodex is a bit lighter).

Not tried the AN 'pin but it looks good...

Sleeping we image what awake we wish;

Dogs dream of bones, and fishermen of fish.

Andrew,

The three reels listed are all narrow drums of less than 1 inch.

Interesting question, the subject has been bashed to death but not with such specific requirements. My first reaction was to recommend the AN ’pin but I don’t know anything about Mullet fishing other than it’ll be in a salty environment. Salt will get into the bearings and won’t do them any good (all three are ballraced). Multipliers are designed to be regularly used in salt water and so their ballraces are well protected, I’m not sure if a centrepin designed for coarse fishing would cope as well.

My thoughts would be get a reel without ballraces so that you can easily clean out and re-lube all bearing surfaces. Also I guess that super free running won’t be quite as important as you’ll be using heavier end tackle?

Budgie knows all things Mullet and will be able to advise better than I.

BTW I get round the screwdriver issue by just nipping up the drum screw with my thumbnail, it hasn't fallen off yet.

Edited by Rusty

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I use 2nd hand Leeds for my mullet fishing (basically they're just used for winching, not long-trotting in weak currents, though they aren't bad for that).

(Unfortunately you do need a screw-driver to remove the spool)

My Aventa and Anglersnet I keep for rivers.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I'd just use a small mulitplier and forget the cp in salt water....I think it won't last very well.

A quick read of the Aventa Pro box tells me the shaft and ball bearings are Stainless steel. Don't know if that's true of all Okuma's? But if you wash dry out and reoil after every trip i would think they are (less moving parts than most reels) as good as most reels in salt water.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I use a Leeds for my mullet fishing as well.Initialy because I didnt want to risk the far more expensive pins I owned at the time! Now I just stick with it because Im set in my ways! Been using it in the salt for best part of 20 years with no problems.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I only use my Mordex Merlin out of my collection of freshwater 'pins for saltwater but clean it well afterwards! They can be picked up resonably cheaply on Ebay (secondhand I know) but they are robust and still less than 1".

What about an Alvey?

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I am no expert on centrepins, but I remember what I was told many years ago, "If you can't borrow a reel to try, at least take the rod you intend to use when you buy a new reel, so you can feel the balance of your rod and the proposed new reel."

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

May I add my name to the list of those who use a Leeds for Mullet. Nice cheap simple construction but if you like to impress other anglers with a ratchety sound when you let a fish run then forget it as the reel I use has a simple brake instead and makes no sound. Just apply a little drop of duck oil to it when you finish cleaning. It did register that you prefer to have new and were perhaps considering a wide spool but another reel worth considering is a Trudex.These have solid quick release spools (not spokes) that pop off easily and reveal all the gubbins ready for oiling plus a detachable line guard which you might find useful if your tidal river gets as windy as mine.