I need some new waders

arbocop

I have had a few pairs over the years, the best I ever had were Keenfisher, but these are not produced any longer.

I've had cheap neoprene chesties that leaked after a couple of months, I've had nylon pair of chesties which are just rubbish. Although they are considered a bit old hat now, I seem to get the best use out of rubber thigh waders. They can be rolled down easily when it's hot, they are cheap and if you ruin them they are not too expensive to replace. I seldom feel the need for chesties, except on the odd occasion when I want to cross the river, so rubber thigh waders normally suit me fine. However, the last two pairs I have had have split after 6 months - I admit they were cheap but not that cheap.

I don't think I would get sufficient use out of neoprene as I tend to have a roving style of fishing and often walk a fair distance from the car, and therefore feel that I would only have a couple of days use out them in the deepest wintery days - it would be easier to wear breathables or rubber with a bit of insulation under them. I also want one pair rather than two.

Therefore, I am beginning to rethink this and I am pondering whether I would be better with breathables. I am nervous about tearing them so don't want to pay too much, but similarly don't want rubbish ones that leak or I will tear on first trip out. Although I fish in lovely manicured trout fisheries from time to time, I more frequently fish an overgrown river bank with barbed wire fences etc. Some appear to be reinforced below the knee - this seems to be a good idea, but would it help avoid the barbed wire tear?

I was thinking about Scierra CC3 Waist waders but have heard that they leak. I have also considered the Orvis Waist High Stockingfoot Waders but at this price plus boots I don't want to regret it. Alternatively, who manufactures good rubber thigh/hip waders these days that won't split after hardly any wear.

Help!

Comments advice, brand favourites, what do you wear - everything!

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You’ve ruled out the ones I use (Leeda neoprene, forty quid) but I’ve been very happy wandering about with them over the past year.

Cheap chesties for all seasons might be a tough call. If you want just one low cost pair you’ll probably have to tolerate being cold or Betty Swallocks depending on when you’re fishing. My priorities (apart from water tightness) were;

Warmth above all, wading doesn’t stop in Winter.

Low cost, I will puncture them at some point.

That’s about it really, I accept that roving in Summer will be a sweaty affair but I didn’t want to pay loads for waders which claim to cope with a range of temperatures.

Just had a quick e-bay window shop, Greys marketing “GRXi” chesties, that had me in fits. They even do a “GRX” variant, I guess these are a bit slower?

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Just had a quick e-bay window shop, Greys marketing “GRXi” chesties, that had me in fits. They even do a “GRX” variant, I guess these are a bit slower?

The GRXi have a stripe down the side and are marketed to 17 year olds. No seriously, the GRX range came out first, then they improved the range - GRXi. Still sounds like a motorbike though.

Basically Rusty you ahve identified the issue I put in loads of words - I don't think I can have everything, you may be right that two pairs of cheapos may the way forward.

However, I do like the breathable waisties - best of both. Question is do they leak and are they breathable, most stuff that claims to be isn't. Myabe I just need to bite the bullet and try them.

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Mike i have used a cheap pair of Ron Thompson Neoprene chestys for 6 years now and they have just started to leak just where the Boot meets the Neoprene which is a bit of a pain but they have had a lot of use,As well as being used every time i launch/recover the boat a mate borrows them for a week or so each year for weed cutting on the river Pang so they have had a fair workout and i would buy another pair.

They have come second in battles with barbed wire fences but the repair kit came in handy and solved those issues ,Would imagine in the summer they would be unbearable sweat wise esp if you are wandering from swim to swim but a good way to lose weight ;) .

Look forward to seeing how this pans out as i need another pair for travelling light in the summer as well as the neoprene for boat launching in the winter .

Rusty got my NAA ticket will give you a shout in the new year for a trip and Mike if you can make it as well that would be great ,the difference between the grxi and the grx is about 2 seconds to 60 and 4 insurance groups :lol:

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Rusty got my NAA ticket will give you a shout in the new year for a trip and Mike if you can make it as well that would be great

Sounds like a plan, providing it involves trotting and centrepins! Oh, and me to have no back problem.

As regards the wader advice, you all seem to be suggesting cheaper neoprenes, and betty swollocks.

Mike

I've had a pair of Scierra breathable chesties for the last 3/4 seasons - have served me very well - though they don't get heavy use (I get through a pair of thigh waders every year it seems!). Can't find the exact model online anymore - but given the length of time they have served me I don't regret splashing out the £135 I did.

C.

ps - we must all meet up at Speen sometime!

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Rusty got my NAA ticket will give you a shout in the new year for a trip and Mike if you can make it as well that would be great

Excellent news Steve,

I’m off work on Friday 15th Jan and was planning a trip to Speen to try out some new kit so if anyone else can make it on that day (or perhaps 16th/17th) we could get together.

A word of caution if you were thinking of a Speen recce in the near future. Where the access track passes under the A34 there is a huge puddle spanning the track for about 30 feet. You can’t avoid it and in these weather conditions it will be an ice rink.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Guest bbamboo

I have had probably more breathable waders than most on here so this is some advise for yer.

Breathables they all leak in time the expensive ones do not last a great deal longer than the cheap ones. (Even Simms)

So if you are thinking of breathables go for a very good after sales service.

In this respect you cannot go far wrong with Orvis

purchase two set of the cheapest ones ,When they start to leak and they will because they all do.Send them back and they will forward you a new pair.Unlike some makes were you just get a repair done.Orvis give you a new set time after time I am on my fourth pair now. The second set you purchased comes in when the other set is being replaced.

If you are after a standard bullet proof set OCEAN waders are what I would recommend.

Gary

I second the advice for Orvis.

Best after sales service in the business. ;)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/