Word of Warning

pearbo

Just a quick one to say about an EA rule that until a few days ago i was unaware of.

Having your rods more than 3 meters apart. Having seen a pike angler recently get fined for his being too far apart. Obviously this is more likely to affect pike anglers, especially on rivers whilst roving, but as i believe that the rule is only on the website and not on the licence i just thought i would mention it.

As the EA baliff said who got him, 'im only doing my job', which is fair enough as we are paying him to look after our waterways.

Are there any others that are a bit random that anyone knows of?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a quick one to say about an EA rule that until a few days ago i was unaware of.

Having your rods more than 3 meters apart. Having seen a pike angler recently get fined for his being too far apart. Obviously this is more likely to affect pike anglers, especially on rivers whilst roving, but as i believe that the rule is only on the website and not on the licence i just thought i would mention it.

As the EA baliff said who got him, 'im only doing my job', which is fair enough as we are paying him to look after our waterways.

Are there any others that are a bit random that anyone knows of?

This....Ahem!..."random" byelaw is a National byelaw. It comes under the number of rods per licence regs.

It should be something that all legitimate anglers are conversant with.....a bit like the Highway Code for drivers!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I think if pike fishing with the right set up there's no reason not to have your rods spread out over 3 meters on clear bankings...unless your handicapped and can't get to your rods so quickly.

Also I think the EA Bailif should be looking at more serious offenders than that chap, like those who don't have a licence at all. A bit like police bookin people for minor trivial offences when there's lots of serious stuff to deal with.

I reckon just a warning would have been sufficient !

I have seen rod license owners being pulled up over minor rules yet the yobs who dont even have a license refuse to give a name and threaten to give the EA officer a swimming lesson if he didnt let them leave the scene.

seems people who think they are playing by the rules and make genuine mistakes get a rougher ride than them who have no intention of buying a license in the first place.

The "3m butt ruling" in regards to pike fishing at least is a classic example of the rule makers/people who lobbied for the rule not having a kin clue about what they are going on about! IMHO the rule can actually cause one of the very (and in my mind only sensible) reason that its introduction was meant to help!

I'm not surprised that Pearbo didn't know the rule/Ignorance of the rules is more common than ever these days. Lots of new legislation (ie the scrapping of the blanket closed season for course fishing being a good example) has caused confusion and for about the hundredth time of mentioning it ever since the rules stopped being printed on the back of rod licences very few bother to hunt down a copy or find them on the net.

I personally reckon that "our" money would be better spent on sending a current copy of the rules each year to licence purchasers than the total (IMO) waster of time "Reel Life" magazines and similar.

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

A bit like police bookin people for minor trivial offences when there's lots of serious stuff to deal with.

And most likely for exactly the same reasons mate....ie its the easier option.Sucks dont it?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

fish Scotland :D

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

This....Ahem!..."random" byelaw is a National byelaw. It comes under the number of rods per licence regs.

It should be something that all legitimate anglers are conversant with.....a bit like the Highway Code for drivers!

So obviously you know every rule in the highway code, mmmm me thinks not. ie The use of a car horn is not permitted in built-up areas from 23:30 to 07:00 hours. Because obviously that came up in your test!

Not showing my inability as an angler, im someone who buy two licences a year to use 3 rods, i just want to make sure that you don't get a hefty fine for something that seems petty.

But if you do happen to have the entire EA booklet written on the back of your hand, well jog on my son, you're better than me