Low profile baitcaster outfit....

dav

Im currently thinking about investing in a baitcasting outfit to fish for pike and perch in my local river and the odd gravel pit , I currently use fixed spools for all my lure fishing but really fancy giving a low profiled baitcaster out fit a try , somthing with a trigger grip to be able to use one handed . The outfit will also be used now and again from the kayak . ....ideally i would like the outfit to be able to flick spinnerbaits out and crankbaits like rapalas dt range and things like taildancers etc and spoons

Ive been offered a abu revo stx left hander for a good price so im after abit of help on selecting a rod to suite , The rod will be mail order so i am abit stuck as to which to go for due to not being clued up on these casting weights and powers , seen a fenwick hmg med/heavy cating rod on e bay with a casting weight of 3/8 to 1 oz and at 6` 6".. does anyone know if this style of rod would cope and how many grammes 3/8 oz is ...A few questions but would appreciate any help and ideas....Cheers

All the best...

3/8 ounce = 10.6 gm

1 ounce = 28.4 gm

Fenwick makes an excellent rod and once you get used to the length, you should really enjoy it. It should do fine with the sorts of lures you mentioned.

If you can find a similar rod in 7 ft or 7'6", it might suit you better. It will be a little more forgiving when you cast and will usually let you get a little more distance. I use rods from 6-8 ft and if I were only getting one or a first one, I think 7' would be my choice for general use.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I have a couple of low profile baitcasting set ups at home here if you want to have a butchers at them and you can compare them to other stuff I use if you want, one of the baitcasters is the Abu Conolon and the other is a Fladen, both good blanks but with different actions, one of the baitcasters is a Daiwa and the other is a Shakespear but both are good at their job

Cheers Brian , gona have a trawl i think im gona have a look at the fewick range and see whats what , they seem to be cheap enough and they are suposed to be a good rod , nowt worse tho than blind ordering but heres hoping, ....cheers , p.s. it will be a great fighting a 10lb pollock on it single handed ... ;) , :D ....