dog walkers and canoers

viney

i know theres rules and stuff about being curteous etc to other people using rivers/surrounding areas

whilst fishing, but surely this should come our way too? on several occasions ive had dog walkers not watching their dogs while they hassle me for my bait ( the dog today ate have a sandwhich bag of spam liberally covered in chili powder, serves the owners right!) or on many occasions ive seen a tennis ball splash into the water a few meters up from me shortly followed by a dog!

and today while sitting their a few canoes came past, one of which decided to stop infront of my splashing to stay still to look at a woodpecker!

sorry for the rant its just annoying that people cant respect other people!

http://www.basingengineering.co.uk/

Instagram: mrmjv88

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i know theres rules and stuff about being curteous etc to other people using rivers/surrounding areas

whilst fishing, but surely this should come our way too? on several occasions ive had dog walkers not watching their dogs while they hassle me for my bait ( the dog today ate have a sandwhich bag of spam liberally covered in chili powder, serves the owners right!) or on many occasions ive seen a tennis ball splash into the water a few meters up from me shortly followed by a dog!

and today while sitting their a few canoes came past, one of which decided to stop infront of my splashing to stay still to look at a woodpecker!

sorry for the rant its just annoying that people cant respect other people!

You should have kicked the dog...punched the owner and bricked the canoeist till they sank !

Viney don`t suppose it happened at the bit behind Northcroft?? free bits like that are a nightmare with uncontroled dogs and i have had a couple of issues there in the past myself but find a a total overreaction is the only thing they understand .

Tigger close but i reckon Punch the owner then shoot him and train the dog as they are only doing what these ***** teach/allow them to ,Canoe a bit myself but have never had a problem with fishermen as its mainly on the Thames and being a angler tend to be more aware of where Fishermen are likely to be .

Good and bad in all including Anglers Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Viney, I think I fish similar waters and my experience has been different from yours. I've had two bad experiences with canoeists in 15 years. On the whole I have found them to be reasonable, which is not to say that there is no disturbance at all.

Personally I do find it infuriating when dogs come and start eating the maggots :huh: , and it particularly irritates me that their owners are normally so dog-obsessed that they seem to think I'll be pleased/amused - and they shout at the dog but rarely have the courtesy to say sorry to me. But having said that, I can't say it usually effects the fishing - apart from a couple of times in 15 years when the dog has charged into the water in my swim, which of course has finished that swim.

Sounds to me as if you've been a bit unlucky. I think we just have to accept them as a hazard a bit like swans, and learn which waters to avoid when.

john clarke

Canoeists like many I have had a few brushes with these strange creatures, have had a few accidents one which was a terrible pity I did not realize the canoeist had stopped and was back paddling in a direct line between my rod and swim and accidentally the ball of loose groundbait separated in the air above him covering him is a shower of poorly mixed damp groundbait and maggots, I did apologize profusely, but he swore at me and screamed that I was the second angler to do it to him and he was going to come and belt me, when I pointed out he was on the river illegally he suggested I attempt an almost impossible act on myself, with the comment "go **** yourself." I politely suggested he might care to move out of my swim and he repeated the suggestion "go **** yourself, just try to fish with me here." I said "I have been fishing here quietly all morning and in my efforts to save you a further shower of groundbait which I am about to put into the area I am fishing you may wish to move." I am a naturally very polite person. Then wouldn't you know it a second accident happened being so upset and shocked at his language I accidentally missed my groundbait and grabbed a handful of cow dung which I had manged to avoid I was fishing next to a cow watering place. I am certain you can guess the outcome. Yes you are right I had to wash my hands luckily I always carry wet wipes...hehehe...well just a couple of hours old cow dung is quite smelly.

Dog owners generally I find are no problem yes where I usually fish most of the dogs jump in and out of the water fetching balls and sticks or just fooling around both the fish and I are quite used to them, we ignore them however their owners can be a problem yelling and shouting disturbing the tranquility of the countryside scaring the cormorants and kingfishers and me, with sudden unexpected screams, shouts and laughter. However there are always a few the most recent I will tell you about. A young woman in her early forties at a guess remember I am over 60 always seemed to let her dog come sniffing around my tackle (fishing tackle). On this particular day she had already upset an angler the other side of the weir pool and being a young man, quite a large young man over 6 feet tall and fairly well built with a beautifully shaven head the sun shone on it like a shiny billiard ball certainly this young angler gave one the impression that if you upset him you could expect a face full of head...hehehe He spat on her dog I guess he needed to clear his throat and the dog by chance run in the direction of his aim, he very kindly offered the woman a free lesson in underwater swimming, I did not catch it all but it was something along the lines of did she want to see how deep the pool was up close, I guess he was some sort of scuba teacher...hehehe

Gaily she sauntered around the edge of the weir pool and her dog began sniffing around my tackle (fishing tackle) So I turned to her with several other dog walkers, and people out for a stroll well within earshot and in a loud voice said "Sorry Mrs I am fishing and not interested in whatever personal services you tried offering the young man opposite.", she went red in the face and hurried off in a sort of huff, perhaps I hit the nail on the head and she was short of cash. Although I have seen her at a distance neither she nor her dog have bothered me again.

I try to respect all others but once I see they have no respect, I become very reflective of their attitude and revert to basic hunter gatherer (primitive man) because it seems that is the only thing they understand.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

The average dog owner these days is sadly of the type who has no control or indeed can be bothered to put in the time and effort training to have any semblance of control and look on there dogs as they do there kids ie they are just having fun and can do no wrong no matter who they bother/annoy .

They trot out the old line of he`s just a bit lively mate which is code for i have no hope of calling my dog back so i am not going to try to and therefore embarrass myself ,sadly we often don`t recognise the owners that do control there dogs/put them on a lead around anglers etc and a thank you from us for the above can work wonders in this behaviour continuing.

As i Canoe for pleasure not seeking to throw myself over weirs or off waterfalls then the Thames is the perfect venue as its big enough to avoid anglers sat behind a bush out of sight on the blind bit of a bend as i can see that bush/group of trees is a feature where another angler is likely to be ,the local canoe club on the section of the Thames i boat fish has some good instructors that keep the kids/novices well away from anglers during there lessons with just the odd exception but again the river is large enough for all to co exist well enough with a bit of forethought Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Yes, it can be irritating. Fortunately, most of my fishing is done where disturbances are unlikely. However, in the autumn I was amazed to see a canoeist paddle through the little perch stream, just as I was about to start fishing! It's so shallow he was scraping the gravel bottom with each stroke, and had to push his way through overhanging trees and reeds, and made a hell of a commotion. I really thought that was my chance gone, but just an hour later I caught a lovely big perch. So even on secluded, quiet bits of water, it may be more annoying to the angler than the fish.

The first thing I do if a dog/boat/etc. disturbs my swim is rebait quite heavily. I don't know if it works, but I hope the fish think the disturbance has kicked up a load of food for them.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Strange reactions .......I consider it wiser to keep my eyes open and cover or move any bait or rigs etc when I see a dog close by. To be honest, I quite like saying hello to a dog now and then, and if I fish where people walk their dogs, then I take a few simple precautions.

Quite a few of the members of my club take their dogs with them.

And as for chucking bait and cowshit at canoeists....................

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic