Ideas for a entry level centre pin reel

Tangledreel

if you are unsure about using one (as i am) you can pick up the same one i did for aroung £15, just put line on mine and had a play with it and it seems sound for the price!

http://www.mullarkeys.co.uk/fishing/fishin...lureflash/7648/

same reel but a lot cheaper.

http://www.fishingrepublic.org/index.php?cPath=21_33_659

Its made from ally. I did find that the reel seat was to big to fit screw winch fittings but easily rectified with a file. I also polished the "pin" with some brasso, this made a big difference to the free running.

some sound advise from the guys for you tangledreel,I would try and borrow one first and if you dont get on with it wait a while.You might want to get hold of a good closed faced reel to start with and then progress to the pin and you will appreciate the skill and satisfaction from using one. tight lines. :sun:

Edited by KAYC

Nearly as important as the type of reel for trotting is the type of line. This means a good line for waggler fishing is usually going to be a bad line for trotting. Whether you choose to use a pin, a fixed spool or a closed face you will need to find a supple floating line. A couple mentioned within these forums are both made by Berkeley and are metre for metre very expensive but quite honestly worth the money. I have a preference for using a closed face reel simply because I lack the skill to use a pin to its full potential and I spool up in the main with Trilene XL which leaves the reel like a dream and is tough and reliable. Some on here like the Fireline Crystal which I have now tried and agree is great on a pin but beds in on a closed face but in either case very sensitive.

My shortened advice would be to try a pin if you can but if you can spare some dosh for a brand new reel go for a closed face such as the Daiwa 125m and load it with some Trilene xl remembering not to put too much on the spool. (90-100 yards of 4lb is about right) Very simple to use and the spare spool can be loaded with your favourite waggler fishing line

Nearly as important as the type of reel for trotting is the type of line. This means a good line for waggler fishing is usually going to be a bad line for trotting. Whether you choose to use a pin, a fixed spool or a closed face you will need to find a supple floating line. A couple mentioned within these forums are both made by Berkeley and are metre for metre very expensive but quite honestly worth the money. I have a preference for using a closed face reel simply because I lack the skill to use a pin to its full potential and I spool up in the main with Trilene XL which leaves the reel like a dream and is tough and reliable. Some on here like the Fireline Crystal which I have now tried and agree is great on a pin but beds in on a closed face but in either case very sensitive.

My shortened advice would be to try a pin if you can but if you can spare some dosh for a brand new reel go for a closed face such as the Daiwa 125m and load it with some Trilene xl remembering not to put too much on the spool. (90-100 yards of 4lb is about right) Very simple to use and the spare spool can be loaded with your favourite waggler fishing line

Thanks weirwulf and everyone else who as offered advice. Everyone is really helpful.

Looking at the good quality of the Okuma range I think I will save up for the beginning of next season and buy a fairly decent centre pin. In the meantime I will see if I can borrow a friends for some practice. My trotting skills are improving with my fixed spool reel but they can still be a lot better, so this should keep me busy for the rest of the season.

The point regarding the line was really helpful, I had not even considered this!!

All I need now is the snow to stop so I can go catch a Chub or two...

Hi Tangledreel and welcome. I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed reading your blog. For the type of fishing that you have been writing about, I feel sure that you would really enjoy using and getting used to a pin.

All the best

Hi Tangledreel and welcome. I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed reading your blog. For the type of fishing that you have been writing about, I feel sure that you would really enjoy using and getting used to a pin.

All the best

Hi tincatinca

Thanks for the positive feedback on the blog it is really appreciated. I have found that river fishing is really fun and I am looking forward to learn how to use a centrepin. Wish me luck!

Take care

• 1 year later...

I don't wish to contradict anyone else's review BUT in my opinion, do not go near the Shadowlanda pin. I bought one unseen off the net thinking to use it occasionally or for winding line on and off other reels. When I opened the box I was astonished at the crap quality, I mean really bad, I was lucky and got a full refund. If a carp or god forbid a barbel so much as smiled at it, it would c*** itself and fall to bits! ;) It wobbles like crazy, it appears to be made of alloy but I'm not sure, it could be cardboard, the finish on it is like a medieval disease, it left me asking, why? Why would anyone bother to manufacture this?

Perhaps as a child I would have been thrilled with it for xmas but now, the total lack of any sense of quality would leave most adults flummoxed.

A good starter would be the Marco Cortesi pin for £30.00 from 'Dragon Carp'.