Putting Together Some Tying Tools

Steve Walker

Had a go at some nymphs this evening - bit scruffy, but what the hell,

Did your missus find out? :)

Seriously, though, all flies illustrated so far look like fish catchers - well done ! - the next stage is to take up shooting, and catch fish on flies you have tied yourself, using feathers from birds you have shot yourself..........

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did your missus find out? :)

Seriously, though, all flies illustrated so far look like fish catchers - well done ! - the next stage is to take up shooting, and catch fish on flies you have tied yourself, using feathers from birds you have shot yourself..........

Plus of course you get the bonus of having (in this evening's case) fried pheasant breasts with a red onion and red wine sauce with cou-cous! :P

some redcurrants have just gone into the sauce and some dried parasol mushrooms (rehydrated) will be fried with the pheasant. I'm currently slurping a fino and will shortly go onto a red wine :P

dinner.jpg

Yum yum, burp! I feel a load of pheasant tail nymphs coming on :D

Edited by Worms

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Trouble with chasing the kind of nymph that the missus would disapprove of is that you never know what you are going to catch! :lol:

I shall have to leave off the shooting for a while, I have enough expensive new hobbies for now (and judging by the reaction of my better half to me buying "a bunny's face", I might be in a lot of trouble if caught skinning Peter Rabbit in the back garden...)

Actually, Katie is very interested in tying some flies, and has expressed an interest in having a go at fly fishing - I suspect that the absence of maggots and worms might have a lot to do with this!

Plus of course you get the bonus of having (in this evening's case) fried pheasant breasts with a red onion and red wine sauce with cou-cous! :P

1755569090_36167f9c9e.jpg

Right, I am bored with Diawl Bachs, buzzers, GRHEs and black gnats. I could have a go at PTNs, but frankly I've got loads of them in my fly box and I don't fish nymphs so much in the first place. What else can I tie for my small stream trout? I have:

small dyed cock hackles (assorted colours)

small dyed cock hackles (black)

cock pheasant tail feathers

olive saddle hackle (mostly a bit big for the kind of small dry I wanted it for)

medium bronze mallard wing feathers

peacock herl

a hare's mask which should probably only be used where my wife won't see it

dubbing in these colours:

dubbing4.jpg

dubbing3.jpg

black silk floss

red and orange stretch floss

some strange scrunchy black synthetic wool I impulse bought because it was very cheap

some peach coloured marabou I impulse bought because it was very cheap

silver and gold beads

glue sticks in a range of colours

lead wire

copper wire

gold coloured wire

silver coloured wire

fine flat red tinsel

fine flat green tinsel

fine flat pearlescent tinsel

sparkly silver braided thread

black, olive, orange whipping thread

Any suggestions?

This is what I've been doing tonight:

diawl.jpg

Bits are improvised ;)

My all time favourite small stream/river dry fly is probably the "Adams", an American pattern but a right little killer in most sizes, my favourite though is a size 14. I find that muskrat fur isn't too common round here so i dub the body with my dog's hair! The "miller", a white dry fly is one of those strange flies that will often kill when nothing else works tied on a size 12. It can sometimes work wonders especially when it's quite cold or, strangely enough when trout are slurping micro-flies!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Like this:

http://fishsniffer.com/fly/fom/030717adams.html

?

The Miller looks like something that might interest my little brownies - but I would need some more materials... :)

That's the one :thumbs: If you're feeling adventurous you coud also try a parachute version!

Edited by Worms

Gammarus.jpg

A bit of lead wire and some hot melt glue on a bent nymph hook and you can knock up a few of these gammarus jobbies. This one's obviously a gravid female :D !

Oh, I like that :thumbs:

I'm hoping to get the fly rod out for the Itchen grayling fishing day next month, that looks just the thing. The red bodied goldhead bug jobbie was tied with an eye on all the red maggots likely to be going in the river ;)

Hmm, the Hot Glue Gun Gammarus turned out to be not as easy as it looks - I couldn't get the damned stuff to set in the right shape and ended up with these two horrors:

P1030662.jpg

So I decided to give up trying to model the whole animal in it, and just to use it for the carapace. I got a picture of the wee beastie (I didn't fancy breaking the ice on my pond to get some real ones) and tried to get the effect of segmentation with silk and orange flexi floss, the orange egg patch in the female with a bit of dubbing and the leggy underside with some white cock hackle:

Gammarus_casal.jpg

shrimp2.jpg

It will be just my luck that the two gobbets of glue will catch fish and the ones that had some thought won't!