3 Veined Fluted Float

George387

Hi Chaps,

Am on the scrounge, I have looked through my extensive range of old tackle books & float books but I cannot find any pictures of a 3 veined fluted float.

Someone has asked me specifically for one instead of a normal 4 veined float but I cannot even begin to make one if I dont know what it looks like, so I know there are a lot of guys on here who collect old vintage tackle like myself so if anyone has a picture or a diagram of a 3 venined fluted float then Id really appreciate it.

cheers

George

A Scotsman in Yorkshire...http://traditionalfloats.blogspot.co.uk/

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife makes all my more unusual floats but looking at one of the 3 vanned floats she made me they look like the flights of an arrow if you stand the arrow in the flat bit with the pointed bit to the sky.

e.g. I found they worked best for me if they were wider at the bottom rather than the same width all the way up or with the wider part at the top, but try all 3 possibilities and see which you are happiest with we did.

I found it depended on the river as much as anything for deciding which worked best.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

George I thought they sacked the 3 vane in favour of the far more stable 4 vane?Ive only used 4 vane but Im sure I read it was something to do with 3 vanes "spinning" more rather than "gripping" the water/current as 4 do?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

George I thought they sacked the 3 vane in favour of the far more stable 4 vane?Ive only used 4 vane but Im sure I read it was something to do with 3 vanes "spinning" more rather than "gripping" the water/current as 4 do?

Am not 100% sure, I have heard of them but never seen one, all the flutes I have seen or used are with 4 so you could be right about the spinning, it was a guy who asked if I could make him a 3 vein he was specific he didnt want the 4 vein.

I have spent nearly a complete evening drawing on a piece of paper dimensions etc but it just doesnt look right and without seeing a picture of one I dont know if it is.

cheers Guys so far

George

Be interested if you come across any other info mate and/or how the guy gets on with them.Did he say why 3 and not 4?

He said that he used to use 3 veined many years ago and prefers them to 4 veined ones. He bought some 4 veined ones from a seller on ebay and he said he used them once and threw them in the bin they were crap :mellow:

Its a friend of a guy Ive made floats for in the past who recommended me, and me being me am always up to a challenge...but only if I know what one looks like, hence the picture required. :D

I'll keep sketching and am sure a picture will turn up from somewhere..will keep you posted.

He said that he used to use 3 veined many years ago and prefers them to 4 veined ones. He bought some 4 veined ones from a seller on ebay and he said he used them once and threw them in the bin they were crap :mellow:

Its a friend of a guy Ive made floats for in the past who recommended me, and me being me am always up to a challenge...but only if I know what one looks like, hence the picture required. :D

I'll keep sketching and am sure a picture will turn up from somewhere..will keep you posted.

I'm sorry that I haven't any left of the ones I made years ago George. I remember I made them with wire stems, and used plastic for the vanes, set into the cork or balsa body. I always used them with the line going down the side of one of the vanes, so that the other two 'vee'd' out downstream. I eventually made the vane that had the line going down it slightly narrower than the other two, and it seemed to 'grip' the water better. I didn't have any trouble with them spinning. It's about 30yrs ago and I can't remember the details, I do remember a lot of trial and a lot of error though.

I hope this helps a bit.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Hi,

Looking on the forum recently I have read a lot of talk about these Veined floats. Can someone explain the benefits of them and where they could be used. Am I right in presuming that they are used for trotting and assist in preventing the line from pulling the float off course and towards the near bank. If this is so i would really like to try some.

I have to admit that I did have some years ago but I thought they were just some mad invention of my Grandad and so eventually threw them away. They were too small for most of the type of fishing I do anyway.

Incidently there is a book by John Bailey that shows veined floats called the fishing encyclopedia. He calls them fluted though. Its hard to tell how many flutes there is in the photos. Don't buy the book unless you like fly fishing. Its a big book but there is only a few pages dedicated to course fishing. He managers to turn every subject back round to using a fly.

this is a rough guide ,you may of even tried this allready but this is how i'd do it

333.jpg

Rough it out with a half round file first then finish with grit paper too get best final shape & finish ,Use the curve of the file at each edge too file half the groove out then flip it too file the other half ,Or Start by filling strairt depending on the profile of the file ,wider the file ,the shallower the groove .it maybe necessary too re shape the profile of the File itself too get the right shape too match the float .sand too final vane shape / size and correct contour of groove

good luck

Edited by chavender

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve