3 Veined Fluted Float

George387

Hi Steve,

You can tell we both make floats your madcap diagrams are similar to mine...lol :D , Thats what I had come up with mate but it just didnt look right when I transfered it to a scrap piece of balsa. Where you talk of a rounded file I use a small very sharp crafting knife like a scalpel and actually cut the veins out before sanding, similar to making a 4 veined.

The info is good guys bits of snippets coming from everyone, I have a full afternoon dedicated to getting this bloody thing sorted....I never give up...lol

Veined floats should not twist your line Ian, similar to a normal crowquill if you attach 3 rubbers the line stays tight against it, all the vanes are designed to do is hold the water better in a current as with a normal smooth sided round float tends to get pushed away out the current to the edge where a veined float grips the current and will stay in it.

Edited by George387

A Scotsman in Yorkshire...http://traditionalfloats.blogspot.co.uk/

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Looking on the forum recently I have read a lot of talk about these Veined floats. Can someone explain the benefits of them and where they could be used. Am I right in presuming that they are used for trotting and assist in preventing the line from pulling the float off course and towards the near bank. If this is so i would really like to try some.

I have to admit that I did have some years ago but I thought they were just some mad invention of my Grandad and so eventually threw them away. They were too small for most of the type of fishing I do anyway.

Incidently there is a book by John Bailey that shows veined floats called the fishing encyclopedia. He calls them fluted though. Its hard to tell how many flutes there is in the photos. Don't buy the book unless you like fly fishing. Its a big book but there is only a few pages dedicated to course fishing. He managers to turn every subject back round to using a fly.

they can be made of styrofoam DSCF1605-1.jpg or balsa like this oldish one 5e0c_1-1.jpg

Theres probably a better explanation ,but for me the jist is that ,I make them in Balsa and styrofoam & use them in both pacey and slow moving water ,the vanes give the float a greater surface area too catch the flow better and because of this they keep a truer course in disturbed waters where a more rounded float maybe bullied of course by swells and swirls etc ,and in slow flows they catch what little flow there is .

for tigger

never had any line twist problems ,the float doesn't spin in the water it just goes with the flow ,that said there is a float out there that does spin in the water and self centre's in the water way

Youtube Video ->

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

On the subject of both vaned/fluted floats and "new" floats has anyone tried one of those Caralusso "Surf" floats yet? Look great for trotting a line beyond the rod tip whilst holding back.

When I lived in Europe The "lollipop" and "Bolognaise " styles had been popular for years we really seem behind them on big river float fishing.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Steve,

You have pretty much hit the nail on the head with your explanation & video, couldnt have done it better myself even if I had tried :)

I used the bolognese & lollipop floats when I lived in Germany and was on the Dutch match circuit, the surf float is a spin off from them, I havent used any shop bought floats since I gave up match fishing in the middle nineties.

If I cant make it I dont use it is my float motto...lol ;)

A Scotsman in Yorkshire...http://traditionalfloats.blogspot.co.uk/

I tend to buy and adapt/copy George! Unless the brought one is spot on and not too expensive! Must get one to give a try.If I fully understood the mechanics of one though I suppose I could modify a Lollipop. Have to browse one in the shop!

When I lived in Europe The "lollipop" and "Bolognaise " styles had been popular for years we really seem behind them on big river float fishing.

Talking of Bolognaise rods Budgie...what purpose do they serve?? A not very fishy friend of mine acquired one years ago and it's never been out of the bag for anything other than a ' what's this?' Andy? type of gander. I think it was a Bolognaise rod (I can't imagine it being anything else) because it's about 16 foot long, telescopic, very soft and matchy but I wouldn't think to use it for anything useful and neither can my mate.

Worth using for anything purposeful?

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Basicly being longer you can trot a float directly of the rod tip (so you can hold back) without it swinging into the bank. Handy on bigger strong flowing rivers where you couldnt use a waggler to fish further out properly.

....and that's it? I can kinda see the point but the handle, to me anyway, seemed very thick and short. I wouldn't wish to trot with it for more than 5 minutes. Too much rod and not enough 'andle for me. Odd thing actually.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

Basiclt Andy! Doesnt sound much but can catch you a lot of fish in the right siruation.The older "Big Bertha£ type telescopics were as you describe and not at all comfortable to fish with.Masny were even glass! Hence why we made our own from the reletively new (then!) Shimano poles.Popular long before their reels were even heard of! (despite their long term fame with bicycle gears).

Modern ones are a lot better and better balanced try taking a look at this clip showing a Hungarian (I think!) guy catching Nase. Hes using a more modern telescopic "Big Bertha" The fishings near the end but its interesting seeing him put the "Surf float" through its paces in the early part as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GagEHq0roV4

Edited by BUDGIE

Aye that's exactly what this is like. Big, glass, heavy, cumbersome unweildy and probably crap. It made for some conversation though. Aye 'Big Bertha'. I'll have to remember to ask him where she is.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...