3 Veined Fluted Float

George387

Hi Steve,

You can tell we both make floats your madcap diagrams are similar to mine...lol :D , Thats what I had come up with mate but it just didnt look right when I transfered it to a scrap piece of balsa. Where you talk of a rounded file I use a small very sharp crafting knife like a scalpel and actually cut the veins out before sanding, similar to making a 4 veined.

The info is good guys bits of snippets coming from everyone, I have a full afternoon dedicated to getting this bloody thing sorted....I never give up...lol

When I made some 4 veined ones the other week, having a router table made it very easy. Just wish i had a lathe as well. :)

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I made some 4 veined ones the other week, having a router table made it very easy. Just wish i had a lathe as well. :)

Router table, Lathe?? There must be many different ways to make 4 vein fluted floats as I do all mine on my desktop by hand with a scalpel, then some sandpaper to finish them off before adding either the cane stem or the quill stem.

A Scotsman in Yorkshire...http://traditionalfloats.blogspot.co.uk/

Just a quick update, never did get to see a 3 vein fluted float so sent a design to the guy wanting it who said, Thats what he was after....thank heavens.

The float is in the creation period at the moment but will post a pic of the finished article for anyone interested.

George

Just a quick update, never did get to see a 3 vein fluted float so sent a design to the guy wanting it who said, Thats what he was after....thank heavens.

The float is in the creation period at the moment but will post a pic of the finished article for anyone interested.

George

Ive added a 3 veined fluted float (balsa on crow quill) to my collection of float designs to try if this weather ever warms up a bit.

Its not based on any thing I've seen or seen working so it my not do anything special.

Ive added a 3 veined fluted float (balsa on crow quill) to my collection of float designs to try if this weather ever warms up a bit.

Its not based on any thing I've seen or seen working so it my not do anything special.

Bloody hell Brian....your a professional....you must be....that float really does look great !

Bloody hell Brian....your a professional....you must be....that float really does look great !

Thanks Ian, but their not that great closeup. OK for fishing, but i lack patience for show standard. I'll leave that to George and the others.

Thanks Ian, but their not that great closeup. OK for fishing, but i lack patience for show standard. I'll leave that to George and the others.

Thanks for th picture Brian at least I have something now to compare against & you have set a high standard, and well up to show standards as Im crap at painting but do like the construction phase.

I see from your picture you have incorporated the tip into the balsa body, unfortunately I had to go the other method and insert a body & tip as that what the guy wanted, will let you see how it turns out in a few days as its on the lacquer rack at the moment.

cheers

George

Nice one Brian! I'm knocking up a couple of 4 vanes to try!

Reason being is I want to try some to see if they do really work.I say that as if they do why did they never become mainstream? Be interesting to see.

Will put a scan of mine up when finished.

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Nice workmanship.

Do you think it would work with elder pith?

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Nice one Brian! I'm knocking up a couple of 4 vanes to try!

Reason being is I want to try some to see if they do really work.I say that as if they do why did they never become mainstream? Be interesting to see.

Will put a scan of mine up when finished.

Yes it will be interesting to see. Next stop some testing. COME ON MELT ICE. :)