JRC Contact Bivvy

smalltincup

Bloomin heck Jim its bloody cold in my loft tonight! Right here you are- in bag as it was packed away at the end of a session, Length is approx 5', thickest part (measured with a "loose" tape is 20" in diameter. The "banana" effect isn't as pronounced as it is for example on a titan bivvy but is very slightly there,a couple of inches deflection at max I suppose.

Cheers that's a big help, though I hope that was 20" circumference :rolleyes:

Be good if it was quiver-friendly.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oops, only just saw this, sorry Jim.

The A-Lite isn't height adjustable like the STI, but it does have slightly more headroom than the STI at its 'normal' setting. That was a good thing for me as I'm quite tall. I can sit on a chair/bedchair in the bivvy and not have to stoop like I did in my old bivvy.

I don't own a quiver so I can't be certain, but I would say yes, the A-Lite would fit in one. It folds down into a bag which is about 4.5ft(ish) high and about a foot (maybe less) in diameter. I'll measure it properly when I get the chance. The overwrap folds into a small bag.

There's actually very little to choose between the two to be honest. The only reason I ended up with the A-Lite is the extra little bit of headroom and the fact that you can fold back the front side panels to reveal mosi-mesh panels. I find these useful so I can see my rods when lying on the bedchair.

Here's a video which will help you get a clearer picture:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I've just purchased the JRC Contact 1 Man Bivvy and although I'm no bivvy expert I have to say I love it. I was looking for a light, easy to erect bivvy that would in all honesty be mainly used as a shelter and wouldn't break the bank. This meets all of those criteria. And after contacting JRC have confirmed that the Defender bivvy (not brolly) overwrap will fit the contact.

The purists among you may complain it doesn't have a clear plastic door but personally that doesn't bother me.

Previous to this I had the STI X-Lite which was a complete waste of time. Light, yes! Sturdy no... The poles all fell apart after the third time it was put up and so JRC got it back pronto!!

The only thing I can fault on the Contact and praise on the X-Lite is the pegs. They really are very light compared to the contacts pegs which are the heaviest part of the bivvy.

Hope this helps anyone thinking of getting one ;)

"And the Lord said to John, 'Come forth and you shall receive eternal life.' But John came fifth and won a toaster."

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if this causes anyone grief as it has me, but JRC have just informed me (after I sent them a rather rude email) that in fact the Defender 1 man bivvy wrap doesn't fit the Contact bivvy. Which goes against what they told me initially and prompted me to purchase one and find out for myself :angry:

However, they are ALLEGEDLY bringing out a wrap for it in August - time will tell <_<

It would be great to know who there top man is to vent some frustration :wallbash:

"And the Lord said to John, 'Come forth and you shall receive eternal life.' But John came fifth and won a toaster."