94lb Carp!

Chris Plumb

Its also a way to fish beyond the range you could cast.

Its not a style I think I'd enjoy but I have places where I can use other styles and tactics. Probably if there was no other reasonable way to fish where I lived, I'd use that method and come to like it.

When I lived in North Carolina, we had several large fish-in gatherings each year with carpers from around the area - North & South Carolina, Virginia, and a smattering from other places. They were about the only time some of us ever got to see each other and some of our regulars were Europeans who were in the US working. The Americans and the Brits used normal bank tactics but when we fished several of the larger lakes, there were 2 anglers from France who preferred to inflate a rubber boat and use that to bait up and fish well beyond any range we could cast.

The carp in our area only ever saw anglers when we showed up which might be every 2 or 3 years so the only reason for fishing a particular place or for using a specific rig or bait was angler preference. You fished with what made you comfortable.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Today,I was talking to a guy who fishes that lake,and knows the swim, and asked "why the boat"? Seems that the bait is often rowed out past several small islands/snaggy areas/sunken trees. A large poly ball is fixed over depth. Sometimes stakes are driven in on the edge of the snags/islands to keep the line from getting caught up, and the line passes round these.

Not sure why the polyball, I didn't think to ask, but it would make sense if the line breaks, it would help to locate the fish maybe?

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Today,I was talking to a guy who fishes that lake,and knows the swim, and asked "why the boat"? Seems that the bait is often rowed out past several small islands/snaggy areas/sunken trees. A large poly ball is fixed over depth. Sometimes stakes are driven in on the edge of the snags/islands to keep the line from getting caught up, and the line passes round these.

Not sure why the polyball, I didn't think to ask, but it would make sense if the line breaks, it would help to locate the fish maybe?

Den

The polybal is to bring the line up sharply off the bottom, and over the snags - rather than having it dragging through or laying on them. (at least that's how I understand it)

Rob.

Makes sense Rob,

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Yes that's right guys. Its just an adaptation of my "weed rig" (which in it self is just a variation of a pike anglers ledger rig) its to stop the line sinking overnight into the weed between the clear patch and the rod!

Not so much for avoiding snags (like the original pike version).At Dijon most of the fishing is by rowing out the baits to baited clear spots in the middle of dense weed.

Effective but despite my hand in it not a method I really like.

Between this and "Double spooling" to fish ultra long ranges on some of the big waters like Chantecoq it certainly makes defending the "trapping not angling" argument very hard!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Gd luck to the man! i have heard he caught it at 86lb or something like that a few months/years back.

Would love to have it on the end of my rod!!

To fish or not to fish? That is the question!!!

PB Commom 30lbs (UK)

PB Mirror 27lbs 4oz (UK)

PB Ghost Mirror 15lbs 6oz (UK)

PB Mirror 46lbs 6oz (FRENCH)

It gives a date of January 11th 2010

Check out the Trees in the Background, they seem to have an awfull lot of leaves on them for a January day

I suppose it must be a lot different down there in France

Edited by Team Man

Alan

I must be doing something right, I'm still alive