pond Vacuum cleaners

wotnobivvy

I have a reasonable sized pond, 12' x 6' x 4' deep. There is quite a buildup of leaves etc and I was considering getting a vacuum to clean it up. I tried a cheap one that uses hose pressure to suck through a muslin bag, but all that achieves is a mucky pond with very little debris in the bag. I have seen some large ones like the Blagdon Pond Monsta about 150 ntes. Do they do the business without affecting the fish. Some I have looked at seem to empty the pond into a container that need emptying freqently

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

I have a reasonable sized pond, 12' x 6' x 4' deep. There is quite a buildup of leaves etc and I was considering getting a vacuum to clean it up. I tried a cheap one that uses hose pressure to suck through a muslin bag, but all that achieves is a mucky pond with very little debris in the bag. I have seen some large ones like the Blagdon Pond Monsta about 150 ntes. Do they do the business without affecting the fish. Some I have looked at seem to empty the pond into a container that need emptying freqently

Hi ...

I have found that the vacuum type cleaners are a waste of time. My pond is roughly the same size as yours, and what I do is this.

Use your pond pump to drain out as much water as you can to get your water level down to make catching any fish easier. Store fish in a clean large container, ideally with an air or water pump to circulate the water. I use a plastic rubbish bin, well washed out.

Empty any remaining water from the pond using a bucket etc. This will also enable you to get the main bulk of rubbish out at the same time. Scrub around the pond wall or liner using a soft yard brush whist rinsing with a hose. Bucket empty the last of the dirty water out, then refill pond with hose.

When water is over 6 inch deep reintroduce fish and let hose fill pond to correct level. The whole process takes me about 6 hours.

Water will be cloudy for a few days until pond settles down again.

I do this twice a year ..... a nice clean pond, and no lost fish !

Good luck ! :thumbs:

Edited by Magi

Magi,

That describes EXACTLY what I have been planning to do to my pond for years, but haven't got round to yet. I now have a big plastic container and will definitely do it this year.

I've tried both types of pond vacuum and found both to be ineffective.

Cheers,

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

A cheap and cheerful method.

Items needed

Strong handle ie landing net pole

Wire for a frame or an old landing net frame, MUST have a straight front edge.

Pair of tights!!!!

Poundland sell a net that is of the right size. The mesh can be left in place and the tights stretched over.

Cut off the legs of the tights near to the panty section and sew up. Mke up or adapt a frame big enough so the waist section of the tights can be sewn to the frame. Attach it to the handle.

Make sure the flat edge is in contact with the bottom of the pool and either push or pull. Lift clear quickly and empty contents in to a bucket. You will be surprised at the amount of silt and rubbish this picks up. Yes the water goes dirty but it quickly settles out and some will be taken in to the filter.

Do not empty contents of bucket before checking to see if any fish are caught up.

Do not empty contents of bucket before checking to see if any fish are caught up.

Also, make sure your wife isn't wearing the tights at the time.

An easy mistake to make.

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

Please check for dragonfly larvae and save them too.

dragonfly_larva1.jpg

Photo from photobucket by ulf_hagstrom

Magi,

That describes EXACTLY what I have been planning to do to my pond for years, but haven't got round to yet. I now have a big plastic container and will definitely do it this year.

I've tried both types of pond vacuum and found both to be ineffective.

Cheers,

Elton

No excuses this year then Elton ! :P :P

A few further points ....

Don't throw the pond crud away, it makes excellent garden fertiliser !

Any plants that you remove leave at the side of the pond for a good while, to give the little critters chance to get back into the water

Don't forget to make sure your fish container has some sort of lid on it ..... fish can jump !! :P:o

Please check for dragonfly larvae and save them too.

dragonfly_larva1.jpg

Photo from photobucket by ulf_hagstrom

No way am I touching anything that looks like THAT!!! :o

Don't forget to make sure your fish container has some sort of lid on it ..... fish can jump !! :P:o

The grass carp in my pond have Olympic potential when it comes to jumping.

When water is over 6 inch deep reintroduce fish and let hose fill pond to correct level. The whole process takes me about 6 hours.

Water will be cloudy for a few days until pond settles down again.

I do this twice a year ..... a nice clean pond, and no lost fish !

Good luck ! :thumbs:

Do you use a Dechlorinator ? Raw tap water is not very healthy for fish!

Mat

Mat