any good baits and storys for coy carps

carpkid123

i just seeing if any one had some tips for me to catch some coy i had a couple on the line but never landed one and i rekon there such fussy eaters and i have some storys to tell but ill just tell u one ;)

right i hooked a decent coy a good 15 pound one and i was playing it for ages it tuck me all round the pound and through every weed in there too then bang some reason it had a burst of energy and darted under and i was like what just happed because it wasint surfacing but it felt like somethink was on well thats what ihad thought i thought it had tired its self out and i try to land it but it came off and i hooked a bag that some angler who has no respect left thanks for reading pleas tell me some tips and share your storys :)

Hi Carpkid123 and welcome to AN

If you are geting bits and hook ups you must be doing something right and so I would be inclined to stick with what ever method you are currently using. The fish you lost may be just down to lack of experience with playing big Carp of 15lb+. They do tend to scrap a bit and one fish does not always behave in the same as another, and the water and swim you catch in can also effect the way you try to play a fish so its hard to give you tips.

Your post does raise an interesting point, as you point out that you think coy/koi are fussy eaters. I am always surprised when people seem to think that different strains of carp behave very differently. For years I had convinced myself that Common Carp fought harder then Mirrors and I know people who think that one type of Carp reacts differently to others. I have since changed my mind as science says they are all the same and so I do not change my methods based on the strain off fish I hoped to catch but only on the venue I plan to fish.

I used to use 10lb line when I expected Mirrors and 12lb line for Commons. It makes me smile now when I think about it :D

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

I presume these "Coy" carp are very shy then ;)

I also hooked a big Koi once but the hook slipped just before I could land it never to be seen again it weighed 16lbs 6ozs exactly...............

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Hi Carpkid123 and welcome to AN

If you are geting bits and hook ups you must be doing something right and so I would be inclined to stick with what ever method you are currently using. The fish you lost may be just down to lack of experience with playing big Carp of 15lb+. They do tend to scrap a bit and one fish does not always behave in the same as another, and the water and swim you catch in can also effect the way you try to play a fish so its hard to give you tips.

Your post does raise an interesting point, as you point out that you think coy/koi are fussy eaters. I am always surprised when people seem to think that different strains of carp behave very differently. For years I had convinced myself that Common Carp fought harder then Mirrors and I know people who think that one type of Carp reacts differently to others. I have since changed my mind as science says they are all the same and so I do not change my methods based on the strain off fish I hoped to catch but only on the venue I plan to fish.

I used to use 10lb line when I expected Mirrors and 12lb line for Commons. It makes me smile now when I think about it :D

i am experienced i have been fishing for 5 years it just this coy has been caught so many times you could put a shoe lace through its lips and keep it shoot its just its been caught somay time it knows were ever theres a snag it knows were it is thanks for commenting ;)

the coy koi

there is a golden orfe in a small pool near me that is near impossible to tempt with a bait (i have caught them before in other waters bigger) but this one shoals with the rudd in the summer months and seems to eat every bait but the one with the hook

ornamentals are more frequently targeted and avoiding being landed by the angler soon becomes instinct like avoiding predictors when you stand out like a sore thumb

look at the baits and tactics being used in the lake and try something different

i am experienced i have been fishing for 5 years it just this coy has been caught so many times you could put a shoe lace through its lips and keep it shoot its just its been caught somay time it knows were ever theres a snag it knows were it is thanks for commenting ;)

Sigh - its KOI not coy :rolleyes: a seemingly inappropriate adjective if this fish keeps getting caught. :D

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

well carpkid123 dont be too down hearted koi are not that fussy at the end of the day it is only a carp there are just less of them in your lake than mirrors & common just keep trying & sooner or later you will be landing your koi good luck

• 2 months later...
well carpkid123 dont be too down hearted koi are not that fussy at the end of the day it is only a carp there are just less of them in your lake than mirrors & common just keep trying & sooner or later you will be landing your koi good luck

thanks alot everybody its helping i caught a smallers koi the over day it made it all worth while :thumbs:

thanks alot everybody its helping i caught a smallers koi the over day it made it all worth while :thumbs:

Well done, it's all ways good when a plan comes togther.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek