Snow to Meltwater Ratio

arbocop

If you have 15cm of snow, what is the equivalent proportion of water once melted?

I've heard 3/1 but that sounds too much.

Does anyone know?

ps Weather is rubbish in Berkshire again! Might get out at the weekend, but it's likely to be very local.

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

If you have 15cm of snow, what is the equivalent proportion of water once melted?

I've heard 3/1 but that sounds too much.

Does anyone know?

ps Weather is rubbish in Berkshire again! Might get out at the weekend, but it's likely to be very local.

should be easy enough to find out get a pint of snow then melt it ,snow as it fell not crammed in mind

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

The rule of thumb is 10 inches of snow to 1 inch of water - last weeks snow may have been even 'fluffier'. The guy on the Thatcham weather site melted the snow in his rain gauge (circa 8 inches) and got 17mm of precipitation.....

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

The rule of thumb is 10 inches of snow to 1 inch of water - last weeks snow may have been even 'fluffier'. The guy on the Thatcham weather site melted the snow in his rain gauge (circa 8 inches) and got 17mm of precipitation.....

C.

Thanks Chris, that's useful.

Mike

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Interesting, I was wondering that too.

It's now starting to thaw again here in Oxford. Plenty of rain coming on Saturday apparently, with a warmer (7*C!) and sunnier day on Sunday, so the weekend might be alright after all. I really hope so, I want to explore more of that little river and tempt a few of its turbo-charged chub.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I recall the 10:1 ratio for fresh fallen snow too. More to the point if we get a massive thaw how much is in 'Them Thar Hills'? I can see the mother of all floods coming.

Sleeping we image what awake we wish;

Dogs dream of bones, and fishermen of fish.

The bigger problem is not the volume of water contained in the melt, but the fact that the underlying ground is likely to still be at least semi-frozen. This greatly increases the problem of run-off as nothing's absorbed by the frozen soil. I'm expecting to see a fair bit of flooding at the weekend as slightly milder air moves in (for a while - this winter's not over yet), particularly as this is likely to be accompanied by moderate rain.

The ratio of snow depth to equivalent rain is very variable - the light powder that we had last week doesn't produce much when melted - could even be as high as 15:1 if it's very powdery, but the much wetter stuff that fell in the last 24 hours (here at least) might only be 5:1.

Will

Edited by Will Wilkinson

The bigger problem is not the volume of water contained in the melt, but the fact that the underlying ground is likely to still be at least semi-frozen. This greatly increases the problem of run-off as nothing's absorbed by the frozen soil. I'm expecting to see a fair bit of flooding at the weekend as slightly milder air moves in (for a while - this winter's not over yet), particularly as this is likely to be accompanied by moderate rain.

The ratio of snow depth to equivalent rain is very variable - the light powder that we had last week doesn't produce much when melted - could even be as high as 15:1 if it's very powdery, but the much wetter stuff that fell in the last 24 hours (here at least) might only be 5:1.

Will

Well let's take 10:1 as a reasonable average. I'm sure glad we have frequent thaws in UK. If a typical winter's rainfall (say 12") all fell as snow and was all lying on the ground before any melted we'd have 10 feet of snow! I'm starting to see the advantage of a long rod! :o

john clarke

I recall the 10:1 ratio for fresh fallen snow too. More to the point if we get a massive thaw how much is in 'Them Thar Hills'? I can see the mother of all floods coming.

Exactly! All that snow plus about 2 and a half inches of rain early next week. Add that all up and you get equivalent of 4 inches of rain in a week!

Rich