Helicopter fly fishing trip in Finland!

In this magic River.. here lives Giant graylings (1kg-2kg) tundra brown trout (1kg-3kg)and very big Whitefish (1kg-5kg). This river runs far away in Arctic tundra and arrival is possible only by helicopter!

Here you can experience a true Wilderness!

Example Program:

1 day - Arrive.

Arrive at Kittilä airport and transfer to Kilpisjärvi (appox, 280km). Welcome drinks and short introduction to the programme. Accommodation in cottage. Sauna and dinner.

2 - 6 day - Helicopter fly fishing tour!

Breakfast and helicopter transfer far away of Arctic Wilderness and Fly fishing adventure begis! During the trip our experienced fly fishing guides will share their knowledge of the best fly fishing places where fish are waiting to be caught. Ofcourse fly fishing is the main goal for the adventure but we don’t forget to enjoy nice Arctic mountain views and Wild nature with cup of coffee every now and then. Lunch and dinner is served every day by the open fire.

Afternoon on the day 6 helicopter picup us back to civilization and you have a sauna, and nice farewell dinner with your guides in hotel Kilpisjärvi!

7 day - Back to home.

Breakfast. Transfer to Kittilä airport (appox 280km) and return flight.

* Date: 1.7.2010-15.9.2010

* Duration: 7 days and 6 nights

* Group size: 2-6 person

* Includes: Transfers Finland, Kittilä airport - Kilpisjärvi village - Kittilä airport (280km one way), helicopter transfers Kilpisjärvi village - tundra river - Kilpisjärvi village (35km one way), 2 night in hotel or cottage with sauna, shower and toilet, 4 nights in tent, small rubber boats, full board, all fishing licenses and fly fishing guides.

* Extra charge: Transfers from others airports (Tromso, Norway or Rovaniemi Finland) Extra days and hotel or cabin accommodation in Kilpisjärvi village!

More information: http://www.graylingland.com/96

I must admit this sounds excellent. If anyone goes I would take plenty of DEET. I've been way up North in the summer before,not to Finnland but to Murmansk in Russia and the mosquitoes can be hellish.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I must admit this sounds excellent. If anyone goes I would take plenty of DEET. I've been way up North in the summer before,not to Finnland but to Murmansk in Russia and the mosquitoes can be hellish.

Yes... July is many mosquitos but end of June and early July and also August.. then mosquitos does not eny harm (almost all mosquitos die) :) Middle July is sometimes "hellish" . but no problem if use repellent!

but where is lot of mosquitos...there is lot big graylings :)

and sorry my english its not perfect...

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to Grayling Lands blog!

The blog is still under construction, but we are updating it all the time so you can follow us on our fly fishing trips all around northern Scandinavia. Feel free to leave comments or contact us if you have any questions and we will gladly give you tips and answers! We hope you enjoy reading our blog!

http://flyfishingfinland.blogspot.com/

Lätäseno%20(2).jpg

Welcome to Grayling Lands blog!

The blog is still under construction, but we are updating it all the time so you can follow us on our fly fishing trips all around northern Scandinavia. Feel free to leave comments or contact us if you have any questions and we will gladly give you tips and answers! We hope you enjoy reading our blog!

http://flyfishingfinland.blogspot.com/

Lätäseno%20(2).jpg

That is one very nice Grayling my friend. Very nice indeed.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

• 2 weeks later...

MAGIC GRAYLING RIVER

I have been fishing grayling in Northern Scandinavia for more than 20 years. During my fishing career I have visited many wonderful grayling rivers, but compared to any other river the Magic River is unique. In the northernmost reaches of Lapland, there's a river where the grayling grow really big. Every year dozens of grayling over 1 kg (2.2 lbs), the largest ones exceeding even 2 kg (4.4 lbs) in weight, are caught there.

The source of the river is located in the high fell range. The elevation of the primary headwater lake of the river is more than 600 meters above sea level. The river runs far away from any settlement, so it is a genuine wilderness river. Distance to the nearest road is about 35 km. This is the main reason why there has not been over-fishing in the river, and, consequently, the grayling have been able to attain trophy size. We have been naming the rapids of the river as 2100, 1850, 1800, 1780 etc., not by the length of the rapids, but by the weight (in grammes) of the largest grayling we have caught there.

As the summer is short in North Scandinavia (tundra), fishing season on the river lasts only about 100 days. Prime season is usually from late June to mid July. Occasionally, catches are good also in August and early September. Weather conditions can vary greatly. In some years, it has been raining wet snow in late June. On the other hand, the temperature was above 25 ºC in late June last summer. At the end of June the normal water temperature is 15-17 ºC, but last summer the weather was hot and water temperature was unusually high, increasing up to 21.3 ºC during the warmest days. The best fishing time for grayling is from late morning to evening, regardless of whether the day is sunny or cloudy. Despite the effort, however, we haven't been able to catch any grayling in the small hours or early morning.

On this magnificent river, the growth of grayling does not cease after the first spawning, which usually takes place at age five years and length of 30 cm (12") of the fish. Instead, they grow well until they reach 10 years of age, after which the growth begins to slow down gradually. Due to short summer seasons in Lapland, it takes 10 years for a grayling to attain a weight of 1.5 kg (3.3 lbs). The biggest grayling we caught was 15-summer-old and weighed 2.1 kg (4.6 lbs). The largest grayling taken on a fly in Finland in the 2000's weighed 2.280 kg (5.03 lbs). It was caught on the Könkämäeno River in 2001. I believe even bigger grayling are still present there.

Most of the large grayling we have caught have taken dry fly. Adult sedge imitations have worked best, above all the 'Ivalonmattilainen', designed by my friend and fishing buddy Kari Kujala. This fly has fooled dozens of grayling over 1 kg, the biggest weighing exactly 2 kg. The fly has turned out to work well also in other clear watered rivers in Lapland. Though designed for grayling, the fly suits brown trout and whitefish fishing, too. So far, the biggest whitefish caught on the 'Ivalonmattilainen' weighed 1.960 kg (4.32 lbs).

IVALONMATTILAINEN

Hook: size 12 kamasan B401

Tying silk: thin black

Body: back (2/3 ) goldenyellov hare's hair.1/3 brown bear

Wing: brown bear's hair

Head: tying silk

More about grayling fly fishing: Visit My Website www.graylingland.com

Text: Ari Savikko ©.