Otters Force Out Fishing Club

Elton

Come on Nick, just the last couple of visits to the beautiful River Wye, split grayling / chub....plus any other species encountered?

Morning Jeff. I have to admit to not fishing the Wye for coarse fish for just over a year but, the last session saw a mixed bag of barbel (6 on feeder) and chub (5 trotting, nothing below 2 1/2lb, biggest 4 1/4lb) and the odd roach but no grayling at B26 (Wye and Usk water). A lovely stretch if you get the chance to fish it, between Ross and Monmouth. If you get bored fishing (unlikely) you can dissect the otter spraints that they leave on the salmon croys :D

Most of my Wye fishing since has been game so I target the upper stretches and tributaries where the chub are not as prevalent.

I was hoping to get on to the lower Wye stretches more this year but half a dozen of us are getting together to form a small syndicate on the Lugg on a mixed coarse/game stretch so it may have to wait!

3lbWyechub.jpg

Isn't that the most perfect barbel you've ever seen?

WyebarbelonPriory.jpg

Wyebarbel.jpg

As a matter of interest I was fishing with a couple of mates who had three fish between them, two chub of around the 4-41/2lb mark and a small roach. They were swimfeeding only but.............they were using those new-fangled carbon rod thingys and funny fixed spool baitrunner jobbies.............have you got a cane rod? :P

Edited by Worms

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Morning Jeff. I have to admit to not fishing the Wye for coarse fish for just over a year but, the last session saw a mixed bag of barbel (6 on feeder) and chub (5 trotting, nothing below 2 1/2lb, biggest 4 1/4lb) and the odd roach but no grayling at B26 (Wye and Usk water). A lovely stretch if you get the chance to fish it, between Ross and Monmouth. If you get bored fishing (unlikely) you can dissect the otter spraints that they leave on the salmon croys :D

Most of my Wye fishing since has been game so I target the upper stretches and tributaries where the chub are not as prevalent.

I was hoping to get on to the lower Wye stretches more this year but half a dozen of us are getting together to form a small syndicate on the Lugg on a mixed coarse/game stretch so it may have to wait!

3lbWyechub.jpg

Isn't that the most perfect barbel you've ever seen?

WyebarbelonPriory.jpg

Wyebarbel.jpg

As a matter of interest I was fishing with a couple of mates who had three fish between them, two chub of around the 4-41/2lb mark and a small roach. They were swimfeeding only but.............they were using those new-fangled carbon rod thingys and funny fixed spool baitrunner jobbies.............have you got a cane rod? :P

Hi Nick, thats a shame, I seem to be the only one currently on this forum trying to winter trot the wye for chub. I take it Nick that you have not fished the middle/lower wye for the past two winters, nice pictures including cracking barbel, so I guess pics probably taken a while ago, summer or autumn 2008??

I always keep my eyes open for fresh otter tracks on the banks of the secluded stretches I prefer to fish, with the w/l up and down the fresh tracks are easy to see in the mud / silty sand. In the two visits this winter to the wye (on the secluded stretches) we have caught a single chub. Naturally we are now looking for other places to fish. The nearest part of the wye to me is the best part of 60 miles so building up new knowledge of new area's is slow and by new area's I mean places where every man and his dog cant get to. Thats why its a blow to us to see the chub cleansed from the quiet secluded sections we have fished for a number of years. (I have mentioned before that the total seclusion has been the achilles heel!)

I have autumned feeder fished the wye for barbel the past few years, on well known "barbel angler" stretches" with similar results, including doubles caught on a carbon thingy and a spin free gut holder ;)

I hear the Environment Agency is already accepting that Otters are a serious problem in some areas and a growing problem in a lot more areas.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God