Do you support compulsory catch and release?

Do you support compulsory catch and release?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support compulsory catch and release?

• Yes.
    • No.

We all know what catch and release is. Most of us already practice it to varying degrees on a voluntary basis. We all have our opinions on whether practicing it is good for fish stocks, or not. We also have our own opinions on whether it will be good for angling's image, or whether it could be used against angling on the grounds of animal cruelty.

Just a yes or no answer for the poll, please, but any comments welcome on the thread.

Cheers.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

We all know what catch and release is. Most of us already practice it to varying degrees on a voluntary basis. We all have our opinions on whether practicing it is good for fish stocks, or not. We also have our own opinions on whether it will be good for angling's image, or whether it could be used against angling on the grounds of animal cruelty.

Just a yes or no answer for the poll, please, but any comments welcome on the thread.

Cheers.

It should be an individual choice unless there is overwhelming evidence to suggest a stock is endangered.

Despite all the money and hype from all the commercials, the supermarkets, and the greens, not a single species of seafish has become extinct in my lifetime. The term "endangered" has taken on a media life of its own.

We are currently being bombarded by a dying print media, who can only sell by through fear, and politicians that cling to that because they are unsure where to go; so they go with whats easy and cheap (for the papers anyway - costs the rest of us a fortune).

No more than a handful of our politicians have a clue about fisheries while loads of them have been educated in media, so thats what they react to.

F**k em all - life might not be as planned by others, but those magic moments floating in the crystal clear kelp beds inshore, or seeing the last of a baitball from a 13ft kayak while a mile and and a half ashore is bloody good.

Heaven for me is hearing a pod of bottlenoses dolphins through the hull of me yak while i watch them hunt.

These peeps with all the conections but zero understanding of other peeps lives have no right whatsoever to dictate what is right and wrong.

Chris

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

It should be an individual choice unless there is overwhelming evidence to suggest a stock is endangered.

Can't say more than that!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I totally support idea that when you catch it you should release it.

Lets think logically for a moment.

Taking fish will make inpact on the stock, remember that if chain is broken, the whole cycle will fall.

And saying that it would'nt make a difference is WRONG!

Each year fishing, do you catch more than the last?

Ofcourse no!

Its because these little things like taking fish make an impact on the stock, it not might be huge, but little by little and it ads up.

Primary sector is decreasing because we are using earth's resources too quickly.

And because of that secondary sector is decreasing too! which leads to bigger prices because people are willing to pay more just to get it first before anyone else and because less and less of it left.

If you are a real fishermen, who is surviving from fishing then its logicall to take fish home, because thats how you survive, but for those which fishing its just a hobby or a nice time out leting fish back wount hurt anyone. At the end of the day its just for the joy, and why not let it back when you might catch the same one few years later :)

Don't think about the situation now, think about the future, think about you're kids and grandchildren, what will happen when they will go fishing.

Will they strugle to catch?

or enjoy fishing because there are some left.

Remember its all in ours hands :)

Hiya,

as usual the choice should be down to the individual, unless there is rock solid proof that a stock needs total protection.

I'm pretty certain the majority of anglers feel the same way, in fact I would put money on the only anglers that vote for Compulsory C&R will be Bass anglers.

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Chris

The problem is all the fish species that are considered endangered e.g. cod, thornback ray, spur dog, and eels can be caught by RSA in high numbers which suggests to me that they are not endangered at all, yet management claim there is overwhelming evidence to suggest these stocks are endangered.

It should be an individual choice and that's it.

I fish to live and live to fish.

I'd support it ONLY as part of a system that hugely limits the activities of commercial fishermen. There's been a New Zealand TV angling series showing on Quest recently and what stands out is the sheer number and size of fish available to anglers when you get 15,000 miles away from European commercial fishermen and the Common Fisheries Policy.

Taking fish will make inpact on the stock, remember that if chain is broken, the whole cycle will fall.

Ofcourse no!

Its because these little things like taking fish make an impact on the stock, it not might be huge, but little by little and it ads up.

Primary sector is decreasing because we are using earth's resources too quickly.

And because of that secondary sector is decreasing too! which leads to bigger prices because people are willing to pay more just to get it first before anyone else and because less and less of it left.

If you are a real fishermen, who is surviving from fishing then its logicall to take fish home, because thats how you survive, but for those which fishing its just a hobby or a nice time out leting fish back wount hurt anyone. At the end of the day its just for the joy, and why not let it back when you might catch the same one few years later :)

Don't think about the situation now, think about the future, think about you're kids and grandchildren, what will happen when they will go fishing.

Spoken like someone who's never had a rod in their hands

Ofcourse no!

Just remind me what otters, mink, herons, cormorants, kingfishers, goosanders, mergansers, pike, perch, zander etc. eat!

And the occasional fish taken by some anglers will make a difference will it? If so, why is it acceptable to catch them to eat if you are a "real fisherman"? Surely that will deplete the stocks just as quickly, or quicker, regardless of your motives.

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Ofcourse no!

Hi, welcome to the lions den. Tell me what is the total take of the rsa compared with commercial landings and discard. Have you an idea. If you have you would understand that what you are saying will not have any impact at all. Have you ever been out wreck fishing in over 250' of water, if you have, you will understand why your statement won't have any impact on the stock.

We are anglers, or most of us are on anglers net, have a look at my signiture, i don't have anyone dictating to me what i need to do to enjoy my sport. If i want to take some home, i will, if i wish to release some, again i will, anything wrong with that? Have you really eaten fresh fish? If you are a rsa you may well have done. If you buy fish off a fishmonger, you proberbly never have.

and Arnoldas, just found out your name on another topic, please come back to this side of the forum again and don't be put off with us old codgers, well done in having a go. :)

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..