How much does a 20lb carp cost

Kappa

I have a friend who 'grows on' carp for someone else in his lake. He's considering cutting out the middle man.

So my question is, what does a 20lb carp cost? If you had say 25 carp between 15 and 25lbs would you sell them individually or together?

Is there anything else he'd need to know? Section 30s etc etc

Rich

I have a friend who 'grows on' carp for someone else in his lake. He's considering cutting out the middle man.

So my question is, what does a 20lb carp cost? If you had say 25 carp between 15 and 25lbs would you sell them individually or together?

Is there anything else he'd need to know? Section 30s etc etc

Rich

Its been a long time since I have brought/sold carp in the UK mate and as such I'm not up to date with any new stuff.

One problem with doing it on such a small scale is that often before Section 30 consent is given the EA will require a number of the fish (dead) to examine.Sometimes this is a ridiculously large number that would leave your mate very few to actually sell!

As for cost it can vary considerably on various factors such as strain,location and good old market forces.

If Steve Burkes looking in he will be able to give a more detailed up to date answer as I know he sold some recently.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

How much does a 20lb carp cost?

It depends, do you want it with, or without chips? :unsure:

This place offers them at about 20 quid per pound at that weight. I thought it would be more.

http://www.slf.uk.net/prices.html

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

To go off on a tangent how small would a lake/pond need to be before section 30 was not required.

Or to put it another way how big would a garden pond need to be before it was required?

And this is where the whole system in my eyes falls down! There is NO regulation at all of ornamental fish (and this includes normal Tench and Carp etc sold by the ornamental trade) movement from supplier to purchasers pond.Once sold the fish can end up any where.

If you were moving a fish from a garden/ornamental pond the Section 30 consent isn't for the removal but the introduction of the fish in to a new environment other than another garden/ornamental pond.Technically then even a fish from a tank would need a Section 30 consent form filing if it was to be put into a natural water but A hundred carp from garden pond to garden pond wouldn't!

I can see what your getting at though as Ive actually fished some "garden ponds" I don't know if there are any guidelines as regards size to what defines a "garden pond" though.I should imagine though that other factors are more important.

Sadly a lot of well meaning individuals move fish from their garden ponds to natural waters when they either get fed up with them or they out grow the pond.

The ornamental trade is rife with disease this is where SVC and Koi Herpes etc came from not live baits! keep nets or whatever other scape goat the industry tries to lay it on.The EA for some reason doesnt (or at best knows its failed to) seem to try and control this area possibly because it wouldn't be possible so tries to save face by regulating pike anglers movements of fish!

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!