Which UK Freshwater Species would you get rid of?

Dales

I don't think I would "get rid of" any fish. Most are fished for by a fellow angler, and so there is no way I would consider spoiling their pleasure.

But....there are a few so called anglers that I would not miss if they "went away"

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think most who have read my posts expect me to say carp, but other than the obvious like top mouthed gudgeon etc, I don't want any fish to "disappear".

What I would like is a significant reduction of the numbers of some species, (ok mainly carp). The only reason that they are so popular, is that they have been stocked in such ridiculous numbers, in so many 'fisheries' that they provide relatively easy fishing. This is purely for commercial reasons, and those commercial interests, and the whole 'angling industry' (how I hate that phrase), have perpetuated the myth that, the bigger the fish, the greater the enjoyment/achievement. They have just pampered to the 'quick fix' society we live in, by providing an angling experience akin to a computer game, (turn up, cast in, and play..with 'cheats' provided if required).

I wouldn't mind this if the fish stayed in these waters, but with clubs trying to compete, floods, and nonthinking 'anglers', they are spreading to other waters, and even river systems, to the detriment of other species.

It will all end in tears, I promise you.

Sorry for the rant, but what did you expect? :rolleyes:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Hard to call.

Carp would be tempting but within a week, every van crossing the channel would be bringing more back.

Barbel would be very tempting too but really, I only want them removed from the Severn, Avon, Teme and Wye and returned to their native rage.

I think it would have to be bream.

Nasty slimy things and they tie up a lot of biomass in bodies that are to deep for predators to get their jaws around. No bream = more roach - more pike and perch as well as more big golden roach to catch.

Sorry bream, you gotta go.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Catfish. We will rue the day when massive cats are roaming the Thames and other waterways.

Then top mouth gudgeon, sunbleak and all these other freaky species.

Then ornamental carp.

How about Ide? I've never caught one, but then that maybe coz I've no ide 'ere :D

Catfish are in the Thames around Walton on Thames Bridge there was a 50lbr from memory but that was a while ago now and reports of them a long while before that ,Not sure that they are breeding though as they dont come out in numbers at all and there are more than enough Carp anglers that end of the river and you would have thought a few of the smaller ones would have fallen to there baits by now or Pike dead baits .

Considering how quick they were to colonise the Ebro it seems strange that they have not done the same to the Thames so presume it must be one or 2 rogue fish in that section that maybe outgrew a tank/pond in someones home ?? Budgie any thoughts on this ?? .

Happy to live without them in the river myself Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

I know which I'd sooner of caught when I was a kid and it wouldn't have been little gudgeon etc.

Indeed - and I bet you'd also have rather had ice cream and sweets than sprouts and cabbage, and fishing rather than school ;)

I just don't think the instant gratification of a carp puddle is good for new anglers.

I suspect that one or two are waiting for me to write 'carp', but its not so much the fish, unless introduced to a delightful water that has subsequently been ruined as an established environment, but more the industry/circus that has sprung up around the fish. 'Carp fishing' is not angling ;) !

I like carp, so they can stay - it's 'carp fishing' I can't stand.

I don't want to get rid of any freshwater fish, although if somebody could encourage the eels in Wingham to bugger off I'd appreciate it :D

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

...if somebody could encourage the eels in Wingham to bugger off I'd appreciate it :D

Complain to the EA!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Considering how quick they were to colonise the Ebro it seems strange that they have not done the same to the Thames so presume it must be one or 2 rogue fish in that section that maybe outgrew a tank/pond in someones home ?? Budgie any thoughts on this ?? .

I think its pretty simple Steve. The UK in general just doesnt offer good conditions for the species no matter where they are stocked. Add this to the fact that even in their natural environment they are not a particularly invasive species I think we have our answer.

The Ebro and Po are both massive water systems that make even our "big rivers" look like small streams.They both have amazing levels of prey fish and with their much warmer climate provide far longer growing periods.

If you look at countries where the catfish is natural they may have a lot colder/longer winters than the UK but their short summers are a lot hotter.The fish over the countless years have evolved to these conditions.Also they are never exactly prolific in these countries (compared with Spain/Italy) and despite reaching weights that at present slightly exceed the current top end weights have taken a long long time to do so.

France falls in between the "hot" countries and the natural. But its still noticeable how further South you go the bigger the French Cats are and so is the temperature higher.

So I honestly dint think that the Wells/European Catfish will ever become a problem in our waters.Sadly I don't think they will ever really become a viable angling target in our rivers either. Just the odd fluke capture to let us know they are there!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

That's for the Wells Budgie, but how do you think the 'poisson chat' would fare in our rivers?

I know they are in some stillwaters here, and with more and more escapees, it's a distinct possibility in the rivers as well.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John