Which UK Freshwater Species would you get rid of?

Dales

Several have summed up my thoughts.I don't want to get rid of any natural fish.I'm quite happy for "newcomers" such as zander and catfish to stay as well. But I don't want to see anymore species introduced!

I too love carp and fishing for them.I just don't like what has happened with the spoiling of all ready well stocked and established waters to create yet another "instant" carp water. Don't like the "carp machine" full stop and hate the way it has changed angling in general as I know it.But as said its not the carps fault or indeed I suppose even the "instant carper" its the people who created/perpetuate the situation.

Without saying I would like to see harmful species such as the Top mouth gudgeon etc gone.

Eels? love em but just wish I could avoid them at times when targeting other species.......

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's for the Wells Budgie, but how do you think the 'poisson chat' would fare in our rivers?

I know they are in some stillwaters here, and with more and more escapees, it's a distinct possibility in the rivers as well.

John.

I think that once again our climate isn't that terrific for them and thats why weve not got the problems that France has.But they are so invasive that they must never ever be given the slightest chance.

"Poisson Chat" or Brown Bullhead Catfish to give them their proper name first arrived in France accidentally amongst consignments of Black Bass.Now there aren't exactly that many Black Bass fisheries in France so there couldn't have been that many to start with! But in less than a decade they became not just established but a positively pain in the arse in a great deal of French waters.Both the river system and still waters.

Nigh on impossible to eradicate once in a water. I know several French fisheries that have successfully removed and subsequently stopped the problems with Crayfish but never (other than complete kills) never Poisson Chat.Also known a couple of complete drain downs where they have survived as well.

As well as a pain to anglers they do immense damage to fish eggs.

Edited by BUDGIE

Cheers Budgie. Fingers crossed (and everything else) for the future, but sadly I can foresee it becoming a problem at some point.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I feel quite confident at the moment John as I think there are enough in this country all ready for us to have had the "explosion" if it was going to happen. Well explosion French style any way.

I was thinking a few mins ago that if we did have a "Poisson Chat" problem it might be the one thing that UK freshwater anglers (both coarse and game) could be in agreement/ "Unite" over as they would affect everyone no matter what species or methods you preferred to some extent. But then I wouldn't want to pay that price even for "Angling Unity".....................and any way some wackos would be bound to set up a "Poisson Chat Study Group" and sing their praises!

I feel quite confident at the moment John as I think there are enough in this country all ready for us to have had the "explosion" if it was going to happen. Well explosion French style any way.

I was thinking a few mins ago that if we did have a "Poisson Chat" problem it might be the one thing that UK freshwater anglers (both coarse and game) could be in agreement/ "Unite" over as they would affect everyone no matter what species or methods you preferred to some extent. But then I wouldn't want to pay that price even for "Angling Unity".....................and any way some wackos would be bound to set up a "Poisson Chat Study Group" and sing their praises!

I only worry, because carp are now in at least 3 of the rivers in the Yorshire Ouse system, probably all of them, but I've only caught them in two and heard reports of the other.

I have not heard of them being caught here before in my 50yrs experience, and talking to older anglers in theirs either. So the 'invasion' is slow but it's there never the less.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

If we were going to get a brown bullhead invasion, I think it would have happened back when every pet shop sold them - I think we have probably dodged that bullet.

I think that in gratitude to Australia for all the wonderful fishing I have had there, I would pass this "Fairy Godmother" wish on, and eliminate all carp from Australia and Tasmania.

Their slower rivers of the Murray-Darling system have become just like carp-puddles, and some of the native Australian fish are in dire staits because they can't breed in muddy waters. I killed my share of carp while I was there, in compliance with their fishery laws, but 'twas just a drop in the ocean.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

We don't have too many coarse species to choose from up here so if I had to choose it would be the wild Brown Trout.

Now it's not that I have anything against the fish itself you understand but it does have it's shortcomings.

Small ones are ridiculously easy to catch on just about any sort of fly or bait, or in fact anything that even looks like a fly or bait and a 3oz brownie is just not much of a sporting quarry.

The real problem however is the wild brown trout angler. These folk in their hairy jackets don't consider it "proper" fishing unless you have yomped at least 7 miles up a 45' heather clad hillside to cast your fly into a small lochan packed with starving 3oz stunted brownies. They then go into raptures over each fish caught (and there could be hundreds) just because its got ruddy spots. (Och, it's a bonny wee fush, just look at the spots)

They then infest angling fora and tell everyone how dreadful it is to fish for Rainbows (pellet pigs) in stocked fisheries. (The fact is that they can't catch rainbows in stocked fisheries because the rainbows aren't starving enough and are a bit selective in what they eat)

So, like the carp, it's not the fish but the angling "business" that surrounds them that I object to.

Bye bye Brownie :bye1:

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I guess that not living in the UK any longer sort of eliminates me from this poll so to speak. But I know that if I did still live there and if I could eradicate a fish, it would not be a single species, but all hybrids! It would be nice to catch a good fish and not have a whole lot of jealous anglers asking questions that cannot be answered without disecting the bloody thing. Again, it is anglers that are the problem - generally unsuccessful ones!

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

The real problem however is the wild brown trout angler. These folk in their hairy jackets don't consider it "proper" fishing unless you have yomped at least 7 miles up a 45' heather clad hillside to cast your fly into a small lochan packed with starving 3oz stunted brownies. They then go into raptures over each fish caught (and there could be hundreds) just because its got ruddy spots.

You could always suggest to them that perhaps the fishing would be improved if they culled a few of them...

(but do make sure you are wearing a stab vest first)