Weak Wireless Signal

Elton

I'm not sure if this is related, but a few nights ago we had a couple of those 'almost' power cuts where every light in the house dims to almost complete darkness, but doesn't quite switch off.

Since then, the wireless signal on my BT Home Hub has been patchy. Half the time it's not there, then it will appear and flit between full and lowest strength all the time.

I've tried unplugging the router, but it's still the same.

Any ideas?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've tried unplugging the router, but it's still the same.

Any ideas?

After you'd unplugged it, did you plug it back in?

:)

Try leaving it unplugged for an hour or so, that can sometimes make a difference.

I gave it about 20 minutes. I'll try it again later.

After the post above, it wouldn't connect for ages. I've now got a full signal. It's really bizarre!

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

Log in and check your wireless settings?? Mine has a habit of switching itself off!! Or like mine I just push a button to interrogate the signal and connections to the wireless items.

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

I'm not sure if this is related, but a few nights ago we had a couple of those 'almost' power cuts where every light in the house dims to almost complete darkness, but doesn't quite switch off.
One of them is called a 'brownout" or a "sag" in electricity distribution jargon Elton.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

After my last post, it went naff again, so I unplugged it for quite a while. Since then, it seems to be working fine again, so fingers crossed!

I've been helping somebody who had this problem for five years. She wasted countless hours on phone calls to a call centre in India, where they all seemed to be reading from the same script. BT continually refused to acknowledge a problem and she came to assume that to have either no internet access or dial-up speeds on 8mb broadband was normal.

In the end, I got hold of the email address of Claire Heaton, who is the PA to the BT chairman and lo and behold, an engineer was sent round, who finally confirmed that the Home Hub was faulty. She naturally demanded compensation, but BT claimed they had no records of any calls that she had made and offered her a derisory 6 months free broadband. I copied in Otelo on all of the complaints I made to her and also Troubleshooter at The Times, but in the end, Otelo admitted that without proof of all the complaints dating back five years, there was nothing more they could do.

My advice is to complain like mad and demand a call reference number every single time you complain, or better still, do it in writing, with a copy to Otelo.

I will post Claire Heaton's email address when I have retrieved it from my computer at work.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

I was with BT for 5 years, and had nothing but problems.

During this time I must have spent countless hours talking to "very nice people" in India, with absolutely no outcome whatsoever. I also went through 4 new home hubs, 3 engineers visits and many complaints procedures. They were adamant that there was nothing wrong with their broadband.

I finally managed to talk to a british person in England, and demanded that my contract be withdrawn. After a lot of stalling and posturing and denials they finally agreed to cancel my obligations under the contract, and gave me a refund for the outstanding payments that I had made to them.

Three months ago I switched to TalkTalk, and have not had a problem since.

BT ? Forget it ! :angry:

Mine is working fine after the 1-hour+ power down, and it's the first problem I've had with BT Broadband since the year dot :)