Weak Wireless Signal

Elton

Mine is working fine after the 1-hour+ power down, and it's the first problem I've had with BT Broadband since the year dot :)
I'm very sceptical about this 'one hour power down' theory. Whether your router is off for 5 minutes or 60 minutes should make no difference, off is off.

This sound like a bad dose of Confusing Coincidental Relationships With Causes to me.

Just because event B (having a working internet/wirless connection) followed event A (turning the router off for 60 minutes) does not mean that event A caused event B.

If you want a good ISP then buy your internet services from a company that does not sell anything else, preferably one who has their own kit in the exchange and isn't just reselling BT broadband with their own name attached.

I have a friend who has just moved from AOL to BE at the weekend and the difference is marked. His connection has went from a max of 4Mb to 6.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mrs Claire Heaton

Assistant to the Chairman and Chief Executive

BT Correspondance Centre

Providence Row

Durham

DH98 1BT

email cceo@bt.com

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

I'm very sceptical about this 'one hour power down' theory. Whether your router is off for 5 minutes or 60 minutes should make no difference, off is off.

This sound like a bad dose of Confusing Coincidental Relationships With Causes to me.

Just because event B (having a working internet/wirless connection) followed event A (turning the router off for 60 minutes) does not mean that event A caused event B.

If you want a good ISP then buy your internet services from a company that does not sell anything else, preferably one who has their own kit in the exchange and isn't just reselling BT broadband with their own name attached.

I have a friend who has just moved from AOL to BE at the weekend and the difference is marked. His connection has went from a max of 4Mb to 6.

As I said before, I have been with BT Broadband from the beginning and they have been exemplary. I have had the same Homehub since then and it has been fine. I also have can't see why turning it off for a longer period would do anything, but it works now and I'm happy with that, especially as my wife can now connect and stop making out that it's my fault :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I'm sceptical too, but it always seems to work...........

I've been with BT since I first got broadband, whenever it was launched, never had a problem with them, which means I've never had to test their customer services.

As I said before, I have been with BT Broadband from the beginning and they have been exemplary. I have had the same Homehub since then and it has been fine. I also have can't see why turning it off for a longer period would do anything, but it works now and I'm happy with that, especially as my wife can now connect and stop making out that it's my fault :D

I'm sceptical too, but it always seems to work...........

I've been with BT since I first got broadband, whenever it was launched, never had a problem with them, which means I've never had to test their customer services.

I have another friend who would agree with both of you. he has BT Broadband. He gets acceptable connection rates and he has never needed to phone the BT helpdesk.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Funny thing is, with it being BT, you find yourself wanting to find a reason to fault their service. So frustrating :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I can only think that there is some kind of capacitor in the device that needs to be left long enough to totally discharge the stored up power. It is probably designed like that to retain certain settings in the event of a power failure or possibly when changing batteries (assuming there is one in there somewhere).

If you have never had problems with BT then you should be very thankful, but heed my advice all the same and ask for a record number for every single time you need to contact them. If not, they will deny all knowledge of the event and you won't have a leg to stand on.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

I can only think that there is some kind of capacitor in the device that needs to be left long enough to totally discharge the stored up power. It is probably designed like that to retain certain settings in the event of a power failure or possibly when changing batteries (assuming there is one in there somewhere).

If you have never had problems with BT then you should be very thankful, but heed my advice all the same and ask for a record number for every single time you need to contact them. If not, they will deny all knowledge of the event and you won't have a leg to stand on.

There are no capacitors in your home router that hold a charge for more than a few minutes. All your settings are stored in NVRAM, a technologhy similar to that used in USB memory sticks. NVRAM does not need any power source to 'remember' its contents.

i had a version 1 hub the signal couldn't go 10 feet ,a version 2 (the curved one) is intermittent over the same distance so i use the blooming network cable as i did with the old wired router.

ten feet but two walls :rolleyes:

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Purely by coincidence, my sister phoned me last night to ask if I knew how to do anything about her wireless broadband signal, which was virtually grinding to a halt. Guess what system she has? You've guessed it.

I suggested that she tries unplugging it for an hour. as mentioned on here, otherwise, it looks as if it's time for another go at BT.