Please check my site?

Chris Goddard

And see if it loks ok in your browser please. I tried my own IE8 and FF and it looks OK in the main. Still some rough edges!!! But this is my First commercial site if you like!!

Be honest please above all! (About the actual layout and NOT the bloody content you buggers!) :)

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

somethings wrong with the writing :D firefox ok, IE8 ok ,bt/yahoo browser ok

looks fine bar its not filling the entire screen it has a grey border

"vag & lot" is intriguing

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

OK you asked for it! Get rid of the Image Maps. Web spiders can't read image maps properly and this will affect your google page ranking.

DON'T USE ALL UPPER CASE. IT LOOKS HORRIBLE.

Drop the underlining too.

Make all the fonts the same size on your links.

Give your web pages real names rather than page1.html, page2.html.

This will help your google ranking.

Be carefull when putting maps on web sites, you are probably breaking somones copyright. use Google maps or Multimap.com instead.

I'll probably think of more, but that should be enough to be getting on with.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

OK you asked for it! Get rid of the Image Maps. Web spiders can't read image maps properly and this will affect your google page ranking.

DON'T USE ALL UPPER CASE. IT LOOKS HORRIBLE.

Drop the underlining too.

Make all the fonts the same size on your links.

Give your web pages real names rather than page1.html, page2.html.

This will help your google ranking.

Be carefull when putting maps on web sites, you are probably breaking somones copyright. use Google maps or Multimap.com instead.

I'll probably think of more, but that should be enough to be getting on with.

Aye I did! Never get anywhere unless people criticise you eh? :)

Ok then "Image Maps"??? WTF are they?

Upper case is what the customer wants!

Underlining I was 50/50 with but appreciate the comment. It is the default for the site building programme.

Fonts on links?? Can you go over that again too Jim?

The pages are just THERE at present, I have not even started the google stuff yet.

The map is not copyrighted I checked. :)

Chesters1, yes that has been a MAJOR headache!! Do I alter that in the pixels for the site itself? As the site is again defaulting to 750 wide?

Cheers me dears!

Und now??

Edited by Chris Goddard

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

i'm afraid i know nothing about making web stuff you asked if it looked ok not how to fix it ,i'l leave that up to more informed members :D

AHHH meubles and jardins now i remember the trip to a "garden" centre near menerbes ,poor guy didnt appreciate english gardens nor their owners nor the poor chap sent out to make an english garden in Provence even the fluid french speaking cleaner we took out there had problems she learnt her french in paris my gesticulating seemed to work occasionally though :D The french "builders" were so lazy english ones were shipped out and showed it could be done even the boss (who was brought up in france) was sick of shrugs and the all encompassing "pah" the labourers used when they didnt agree with what was wanted.

dynamite though had effects making flower beds the carrots though at the edges were right angled

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Aye I did! Never get anywhere unless people criticise you eh? :)

Ok then "Image Maps"??? WTF are they?

I'll come back to that, it may actually not be an Image Map.

Upper case is what the customer wants!

Perhaps, but it's your job as the designer to explain to the client that if he does this his web site is going to look liike a dog's breakfast. Ask him if he SHOUTS AT ALL THE CLIENTS THAT COME INTO HIS SHOP!!!. If he says no ask him what the poor buggers on the net HAVE DONE TO DESERVE IT, PUTAIN DE MERDE!!!!

Underlining I was 50/50 with but appreciate the comment. It is the default for the site building programme.

Arial is the default font in MS Word. It doesn't make Word the first word in typographical design Chris. Have a look around, how many sites do you see that use UPPERCASE and UNDERLINING? It makes a site look like the ravings of some fundamentalist loony.

Fonts on links?? Can you go over that again too Jim?

The links 'VIN', Bois-Jardin, bricolage, meuble should IMHO be the same size colour and font. Again some are in UPPERCASE some are in lowercase AnD sOme are a mixture.

The pages are just THERE at present, I have not even started the google stuff yet.

Whether they are there or not name the files something like vin.html, bois-jardin.html, bricolage.html, etc.

The map is not copyrighted I checked. :)

That's OK then. I'd hate to see you in a French nick Chris. They are not nice places ;)

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

The links 'VIN', Bois-Jardin, bricolage, meuble should IMHO be the same size colour and font. Again some are in UPPERCASE some are in lowercase AnD sOme are a mixture.

Blimey O'Reilly!! How did I miss that one? :) The label thing again was a throwback from a previous campaign and so as with all you say Guys is GOOD!! (Even the Carrots!) But any ideas what I could replace it with? I've tried a bar and it looks "merde" as you could say! I DID try a Java thing which made the bar up with pictures and each slid behind like the new patio doors? But it looked carpy in IE??

Jim, want to take this to PM mate save clogging up the site?

Chris Goddard

I tend to agree with what Jim says - well the bits I can understand anyway ;)

The graphics look a bit cheap and not very cheerful. Kind of like a simple paper leaflet that you throw straight away.

I'm also unsure of the function of the website. It doesn't look much like it's advertising something special - again it looks like it's a shop site but without any 'zing'.

Perhaps look at similar competitor websites and see how they work and look and get some ideas from them. Without of course borrowing all their trade secrets ;)

I hope that's reasonably close to constructive critique.

Rob.

Blimey O'Reilly!! How did I miss that one? :) The label thing again was a throwback from a previous campaign and so as with all you say Guys is GOOD!! (Even the Carrots!) But any ideas what I could replace it with? I've tried a bar and it looks "merde" as you could say! I DID try a Java thing which made the bar up with pictures and each slid behind like the new patio doors? But it looked carpy in IE??

Jim, want to take this to PM mate save clogging up the site?

I'd avoid java applets too Chris. PM me at will mate.

If by OK you mean "the worst website you've ever seen in your life", then I think you've pretty much succeeded. Have you negotiated some kind of £1 per click deal? :D

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.