The Hazelford Piscatorial Society (River Trent)

barbules

Any Comments?

The

Hazelford Piscatorial

Society

As from the 16th June 2004 the above society have acquired the exclusive fishing rights on the left hand bank down stream of Hazelford Weir, up to and including Peg 85 on the Barnsley AC stretch.

All permits have now been allocated.

From the 16th June 2004 there will be NO day tickets available for this water.

Anyone wishing to enquire about

permits for the future should contact

Tony Rocca.

E Mail

toniorocca@yahoo.com

I think it is prudent and necessary that it is known that the above society has been given the opportunity to manage this section of the River Trent with the blessing of 'Barnsley and District Amalgamated Angling Society', who are the owners of this and other nearby down river stretches of the river Trent.

the above society has been given the opportunity to manage this section of the River Trent

Comment - well, nice they were given it rather than having to pay.

Being that I am a furriner and not well versed on UK doings, I'd really appreciate it if you would explain the "it it prudent and necessary" part though. That along with "All permits have now been allocated" strike me as very odd phrasing.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Dear Chaps,

Barnsley actually owns the fishery, or the banks that encompass it. Is the fishery still up for sale Dave? Last time I heard, it was going for around £250,000 but its price may have risen since then. Were you the one who originally approached Barnsley club Dave?

The reason I asked about the BWB car park (at the lock gates) is because the lock keeper (one who used to be in residence) used to be decidedly anti-Barnsley member. I can remember being able to use the said car park but all of a sudden a keyed access was put across the lane some years back. To make matters worse, this chap seemed to be obsessed with the car park. I recall one night whilst fishing the swims just below the iron bridge with Graham Daubney; two Worksop based anglers came to fish after dark. These chaps swung into the BWB car park so we guessed they had a key. It should be noted that the Sheffield based club who control the fishing off Knabs Island and in the weir pools themselves, "ARE" allowed keys and usage of the car park.

Anyway, these two Worksop guys started to unload their gear and the lock keeper came across the iron bridge and started shouting angrily at the two anglers. This shouting lasted about half an hour and became very heated between the keeper and the anglers. Up shot being, the keeper telephoned the police as he was adamant the anglers were trespassing. Local plod duly arrived and an inquisition began. Whilst this was going off the keeper was still shouting and had to be warned to keep quiet by local plod. Graham and I by this time had stopped fishing and like kids peering over a sweet shop counter, were watching proceedings with our heads just popped up over a concrete wall.

Now it appeared, the two Worksop guys both had boats which were properly registered and licensed so, were in possession of lock car park keys for the whole of the Trent system. (One key fits all lock access) And as such, were legally entitled to use the car parks. But there's more. Mr lock keeper in his haste to start a battle forgot to ask if the anglers had keys or that they were actually entitled to use them. Plod was not best pleased because apparently angry lock keeper had a habit of calling him out. Graham and I did giggle.

Just mentioned this little story to highlight that Hazelford Piscatorials have a way of using the said car park by doing what the Worksop chapies did. They actually gave me the idea originally. The BWB car park is far preferable as the Barnsley one has an access I wouldn't send a mule train down and it is a favoured venue for Newark loonies who torch cars in the car park. This is the reason I stopped fishing the venue around four years ago. Does Barnsley rent the car park and its access off the local farmer? If so, might like to get the tight sodbuster to lay a few hundred tons of stone down as one could build a house in some of the holes.

There's a rumour going up and down the valley though that a consortium of the big Nottinghamshire clubs is putting together a bid to buy up this stretch on the river. Been looked at for the last two years apparently. Nott’s and Newark piscatorial's and others are interested so it seems.

By the way, it’s obvious now that quite a lot of anglers will now be denied access to this particular fishery as all Hazelford Piscatorial places have been allocated.

Not to worry. One can fish the opposite weir pool and its three hundred yard run off on a day ticket. This side is called (I think) "Kingfisher Fishery" and is run by the local estate/farmer. And on a plus side, this stretch does have a definite history for the bigger fish coming out. Below that, the fishing for miles is controlled by Nott’s and Newark Piscatorials. Below the Barnsley stretch there is a very short private stretch consisting of around five or six pegs. (This little stretch was actually given to its present owner by a wealthy magistrate in his will or something like that) AND:!!! This little stretch has produced some massive barbel over the last few years. AND!! These lower Barnsley adjoining pegs have a history for hardly ever being fished!!!! Bet they will be now?? Oh by the way. The bend at the bottom of the Barnsley and private stretch is a once famous Salmon pool. Anyone know its name???

After the little private stretch the river runs down through Fiskerton wharf where there's absolutely NO FISHING unless one moors a boat along the jetty?? (There you go Graham somewhere to moor your dingy) Great pub here by the way. After then, its Nott’s piscatorials for miles going over the weir at Staythorpe into the Averham stretch which probably contains the finest weir pool and run off stretch on the whole of the Trent. Both banks like all of the Nott’s and Newark pisc's are owned by the clubs. Then its down onto Kelham Hall where a marvellous little stretch can be enjoyed by pre-booking a day ticket (£8 I think) Kelham stretch is a bit like a little Wye with its wooded banks and is very pretty. Snaggy in places, Kelham pools contain MASSIVE, and I really do mean MASSIVE barbel. To give an example of this a senior EA fisheries officer friend of mine was fishing Kelham a few seasons ago when he hooked a very big barbel. Although the fish was lost at the net, its weight was estimated by the angler at being easily 17lb plus!! Such sized fish definitely HAVE come out of Nott’s/Newark piscatorial stretches both up and downriver of Kelham below Staythorpe.

Now it doesn't take a genius to realise that whilst these size fish are below Staythorpe weir, flood times can see some of these fish swimming up to the Hazelford to Staythorpe stretch. Indeed, I know of definite fifteen pounders that have come off this particular stretch in the recent past. So the lads or lasses in the new Hazelford thingmy have a lot to play for. The downside is that the white water run off below the weir pool at Hazelford is very much a "schooly" stretch cram packed full of barbel in the 2-8lb range. Fantastic fishing yes but the bigger ones I think are further down and are certainly in the opposite weir pool and opposite bank. The "horsefield" has a history for some bigger fish though.

Interestingly, the confluence directly below Knabs Island at Hazelford is where the EA trap and collect barbel eggs from in the closed season when the river temperature is right. Go and have a look as it’s very interesting. There’s a public footpath along the river on the Fiskerton bank right up to Hazelford.

Good fishing.

Regards,

Lee.

Dear Newt,

"it is prudent and necessary"?

I've got a feeling that the above describes that the new society feels it has to announce whats going off?

""All permits have now been allocated"

That means only one thing Newt. All permits to fish on the stretch now under the control of this new "society" were actually allocated "before" the announcement was made. Very much business as usual in these circumstances and is probably a "UK" sort of thing for some to adopt.

"the above society "has been given" the opportunity to manage this section of the River Trent"

The owning club in question, Barnsley, have for some considerable time now struggled, nay failed, to get a local bailiff to patrol the venue or take money for fishing permits. They have also tried to sell off the venue as they actually don't want it anymore. (Wonder why? Also see my post above) So, one of the new societies number, has obviously approached the controlling club to strike a deal whereby he and his mates take over the fishery temporarily thus leaving someone in charge whilst the controlling club make a few bob.

On the whole though Newt, don't be too worried about the odd phrases. Par for the course at the moment.

A quick call to the controlling club answers all questions. Seeing as a public footpath runs the entire length of the fishery, the controlling club are legally obligated to give out certain information to the public who use the river bank in close contact with other river users, in this case, their new angling tennants.

Regards,

Lee.

Dear HPS,

Your announcement stated that next season you had control of the aforementioned stretch from peg numbers 1-85.

Can you inform me who has control of the rest of the pegs on the same stretch numbered 86-114? Are these still available on day ticket from the Barnsley club?

Regards,

Lee.