Wind Turbines!

Dave B

I still wonder if we'll be allowed near wind turbines. If they don't get us with some 'conservation' restriction, I bet they'll find something terrorist-related to keep us away!

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Say goodbye to some of the UK's best bass fishing!

As you know, Dave, populations of bass like those found out there are very few and far between these days. If anglers are stopped from fishing there, it will be one hell of a blow to a lot of people.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

As you know, Dave, populations of bass like those found out there are very few and far between these days. If anglers are stopped from fishing there, it will be one hell of a blow to a lot of people.

I am in constant contact with the developers of this wind farm, unlike other sites they assure me that they will not build on the banks, all turbines will be in the deep water and there are no plans to ban commercial fishing or angling with in the sites.

I fish to live and live to fish.

I am in constant contact with the developers of this wind farm, unlike other sites they assure me that they will not build on the banks, all turbines will be in the deep water and there are no plans to ban commercial fishing or angling with in the sites.

That's reassuring. Thanks Peter.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

I still wonder if we'll be allowed near wind turbines. If they don't get us with some 'conservation' restriction, I bet they'll find something terrorist-related to keep us away!

Frankly, if anglers keep up the pressure on the Gabbard bass like it has in recent years, there wont be a problem, there wont be many bass left of any size to make it worth the £100 to £150's worth of fuel at present prices. Heard a program on the radio the other day that was laying it on the line, £1.50 -£2.00 a litre, is only a few (5?) years away. Fuel scarcity is a reality we cannot ignore, do we not understand supply, demand and greed?

I have no problem with bass fishing in general, I take my share, but I have seen the bags first hand, and seen the fish get progressively smaller year on year. It happened on the Kentish Knock, I see it going the same way on the Gabbard. Wind farm (restrictions?) and fuel prices may do the bass stocks a favour?

SW

Edited by Sutton Warrior

Say goodbye to some of the UK's best bass fishing!

Best bass fishing? . . . Mmm, I have been there, and yes its great, there were loads of bass in residence, in a restricted area, on a feeding frenzy. They are getting smaller and fewer according to the catches I've seen and the discussions I've had. Loads of bass, in a small area, sand eel bait . . . there is no mistake with a bass bite . . . frankly its a 'Turkey Shoot in a barrel'!!!! The tackle anglers use, seems heavy to me as a sporting angler, that is. The amount of fish that come of the Gabbard to the same boats, two or three times a week on occasions . . . 'personal consumption'? <_<

I have ever been grateful to Steve Coppolo, for showing me the way to drift fish for Bass. Knowledge I have been able to develop over the years to a sporting method, using super light bait casting rods, rated at 40grs! This has led to catching bass consistently, finding bass marks that are truly my own, and last year, trying a couple of new marks, which produced some surprises that need looking into . . . :rolleyes:

Best bass fishing? . . . 'Good bassing' requires angling skills, reading the sea, tides, bottom contours and presentation, using balanced tackle and sensible harvesting to preserve stocks. Fast boats, fat wallets and over stocked turkey shoots, dont sound like 'best bass fishing' to me, more like 'fish mongers heaven' and a short term view?

By the way, close to and double figure bass are great to catch, but they are breeding stock . . . a farmer would never slaughter his healthy breeding heard or flock, they would be a bit on the tough side as well!! . . . Same applies to big bass, dry, tough, dark meat, IMHO. Controversial I suppose, a 3.5 to 5lb fish, white flesh that melts in the mouth. Just dont take a boat full, catch and release, leave some for next weeks session, and growing on. Photograph, measure and return the big'uns, they will more than make up for the eating size fish at breeding time.

A personal view, formulated over a number of years bass fishing, watching first hand, the Gabbard being striped and reading the some times over zealous bass lobby . . . remember the hey-day of the Kentish Knock. :unsure:

SW

Well, I agree with you Sutton. I only really use my Veals SureSpin MKII or Fox Mullet Master rods during the summer months, either those or the MTI 15lb Offshore - that's about as heavy as I go, even when tope fishing. There's no need to use heavy kit unless you need to use stupid amounts of lead.

I did say it was 'some' of the UK's best bass fishing. In fact, the best bassing in that area is a little further off (You know where I'm talking about Sutton!)

I've only ever kept one bass over 9lb, and that was for a barbeque on my 30th birthday. More often than not I'll take three or four in the 4-5lb range and put the bigger ones back - like you said the biggies are prime breeding stock, and those smaller bass taste far sweeter!

Last year I spent the entire summer fishing with Kiddy Sidewinders - the Minnow pattern, and they proved to outfish livebaits on many occasions from four or five different ports around the UK. If everyone's using live sandeels - I'll go onto a shad, it always seems to pick up the bigger fish. The only livebait I really love to use is a live mackerel or scad - the bigger the better!

All this rubbish about using 'joeys' makes me laugh. If there's a bucketful of small mackerel, I'll go for the 1lb 8oz bait every time - it makes absolutely no difference to the bass. You'd be surprised at how many 2lb bass I've caught, and have seen caught, on a mackerel just a few ounces smaller!

My main concern about the Gabbard and surrounding area as far as the fishing is concerned wasn't so much the bass - I just want to get out there over the next couple of years and have a go for the turbot! I know they're there, it's just a case of tracking them down and fishing for them!

My main concern about the Gabbard and surrounding area as far as the fishing is concerned wasn't so much the bass - I just want to get out there over the next couple of years and have a go for the turbot! I know they're there, it's just a case of tracking them down and fishing for them!

The Gabbard is going to go the way of Kentish Knock? . . . has gone? Most fish last season that I saw were single figures, a few doubles, nothing like it was 3 or 4 years ago. One boat I know was putting the single figure 6-8 pounders back! wrong way round but thats how it was back then. Shows the thinking, 'keep big fish' . . . :headhurt::cc_surrender:

Yes 'Dave B', I do know where you mean . . . ;) Funny you should mention Turbot . . . Have a few thoughts along those lines my self. :marinheiro:

SW

Edited by Sutton Warrior