Rare bream faces further scrutiny

Elton

A NUMBER of fish claimed as UK records came before the British Record Rod Caught Fish Committee in London last week.

The list included Andrew Drysdale's alleged White Bream caught from the Atlantic shore by the Liskeard & District SAC member.

Full article here:

http://bit.ly/atW3Ib

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I lost faith in the BRRCFC many years ago !

For Poseidon's sake !!! .... there exists a perfectly good identification book (in three volumes) called the "Fishes of the North-Eastern Atlantic and the Mediterranean" (FOTNEAM) Published by UNESCO. It even has diagrams of the dentition of each of the sea breams. The definitive work for UK seafish. Not cheap, but well worth the expenditure for someone seriously interested in fish identification - as BRRCFC should be.

In any case, surely enough anglers have caught this species in Gib or the Canaries for plenty of good photos to exist, it is not rare.

If I can afford a set of FOTNEAM , why can't the BRRCFC ? and USE it ?

I am frequently appalled at the very poor standard of fish recognition in anglers who regard themselves as "experienced" - quite recently a small gadid was caught and questions about its identity appeared on another forum. It so happened the lateral line did not show particularly well because of the angle of the shot.

A pectoral fin did show , however, which makes it astonishing that the argument as to whether it was a small pollack or a small whiting went on for pages. (about 50/50, but you can't settle a scientific answer by democratic vote) I was in Oz at the time, and only discovered the thread when I got back.

Just for interest - how would YOU tell a whiting from a pollack if the only clearly focussed shot included a pectoral fin? Answer tomorrow, and Davy Holt not allowed to answer! :):) (I know he knows)

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Well... apart from the spot at the base of the pec, you can also tell the difference by looking at the tail - a whiting's is square while the pollack's is concave!

Knew you wouldn't let the side down :)

BTW the tail wasn't visible on the pic in question.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...