The best all round float rod

watatoad

Say you have just won the lottery X million pounds.

What all round match rod would you buy?

What all round float rod would you buy?

What all round leger rod would you buy?

What all round barbel rod would you buy?

What all round carp rod would you buy?

What all round pike rod would you buy?

What all round spinning rod would you buy?

Before anyone wonders no I have not just won the lottery, but I am very curious as to what you all consider the bee's knees or monkey's nuts in each section above.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Say you have just won the lottery X million pounds.

What all round....

match rod

float rod

leger rod

barbel rod

carp rod

pike rod

spinning rod .....would you buy?

My answer is I would not buy any of the above, I would be too busy booking up the best fishing trips money could buy, and buying a stately home with a tench lake in the grounds.

I have plenty of rods already

This one will catch anything :P

yggdrasilthetenchslayer.jpg

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I thought that's what you did already Vagabond :lol: Anyhow, I think that pic says it all but most mid to high priced rods nowadays are much more "all round" than ever before. Even budget priced rods perform way better than anything I ever had access to up until a decade ago. I have tried a few different Harrisons and have to agree they feel spot on. A rod builing pal makes a high percentage of his products from the Harrison blanks which are highly reccomended but way out of my price range so I make do with Greys and I am still happy! One exception is my light trotting rod which is in fact a Drennan 14ft Ultralight Matchpro and it is so unbelievably light and responsive I never even notice I have used it all day. A lottery winner could easily afford it and wouldn't need to worry about breaking it when a fish too big is on the end :P

Despite the lowish price tag I would probably still own one just for the all day lightness.

Errmm..if I won the lottery I would possibly be more focussed on how to jump the queue for a Ferrari 458 than buying a match rod. And I think I would not be lookiung for too many all round rods but rather a rod for every occasion . But for what it's worth I am delighted with my 15' Harrison GTi float - bit of a quantum leap from the 12' 1980 something vintage Shakespeare Omni it replaced . But horses for courses- the Omni is still a peach for small river grayling fishing.

1940S Allcock's Wizard.............hang on, I wouldn't buy one, I've got one.....and you don't need to win the lottery to buy one either!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

All that money and i would probably still have to go shopping on ebay for a new float rod. It would have to be a Normark for me.

I'm another one of the Normark gang, cut above the rest :D

Hey Brian, have you wet a line recently ?

All that money and i would probably still have to go shopping on ebay for a new float rod. It would have to be a Normark for me.

And Me

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.