The best all round float rod

watatoad

All that money and i would probably still have to go shopping on ebay for a new float rod. It would have to be a Normark for me.

strange they always were a budget rod in the past as far as i can remember and a fair few at boot fairs never sold ,they go to the dump then end up with a traders lot the next week :blink:

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

strange they always were a budget rod in the past as far as i can remember and a fair few at boot fairs never sold ,they go to the dump then end up with a traders lot the next week :blink:

Well 10/15 yrs back they where £399 so not exactly budget.

Well 10/15 yrs back they where £399 so not exactly budget.

i mean theeeee past 20 to 30 years ago,price has never been indication of quality ;) they were in the same region as those dire DAM rods

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

i mean theeeee past 20 to 30 years ago,price has never been indication of quality ;) they were in the same region as those dire DAM rods

I agree that a high price doesn't always get you the best or anywhere near it but in the case of the normark float rods I think it does. I like them anyway so they'll do for me :)

I put this thread up as there are a lot of us somewhat more experienced anglers on here who probably use several rods rather than just one, so I thought it would give us a chance to discuss what each of us feels is a really good all round float or whatever rod and why.

I have no doubt many of you like me has been asked what is a really good general purpose rod? So I thought what would it be a Normark or maybe a B&W Avon or a Harrison or a Sealey or Alcocks or what so come on guys and girls. Remember this may be read by a lot of less experienced anglers looking for a little direction but maybe they are a little shy.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

The tricky thing with these topics is that very few people have used enough similar rods to make a useful comparison. I use a Normark for trotting and I really love it, but that's all I can offer - there could be 10 other rods out there that are 'better'! And someone else might pick up my Normark and instantly hate it.

The best advice to give to an inexperienced angler who wants an all-round float rod (in fact, any rod) is to decide on a budget, go to a good tackle shop and give all the rods a waggle. One will usually stand out, even if it's just because it's got nice whippings!

The other point is that good carbon rods are so cheap now, it's actually hard to go wrong.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

No not really, Ive been going flat out at work the last couple of weeks. Have you?

I had a couple of blanks at the spot we went to then, third time lucky got a 3lb+ chub and a small trout of all things. I had another go Saturday just gone and got three chub all around 2 1/2 lb.

Went down the severn last week and appart from a very large pike that took a likeing to my cheese paste which after 4 to 5 mins it grated the line and parted company nothing was up for it.

All in all pretty fishless Brian....and horribly cold !

Edited by Tigger

Back in the 70's (maybe even as recently as the early 80's) I could have answered your question quite easily.Now I cant! Simply to much choice now,many rods of the same/similar quality for the same/similar price. Ive certainly seen no great advance in rods for several decades just a general lowering of price.

Also an increase in that most sniddy of the tackle trades tricks of building rods on identical blanks, slightly different quality rings,and different finnishes/names/graphics and then selling one at a sensible prices and the other at a vastly inflated one to have a product in the "top of the price range" market! I kid you not. And the good old mug punter still falls for it.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!