Catch report off Heysham Lancashire 20th Feb

rushy

My mate Paul rang TerryG and said the weather was looking good for a trip out this weekend on the kayaks. Unfortunately due to other commitments Terry was unable to take it out for a paddle, and being the kind generous soul that he is, he offered me the chance of taking it out and having a bash.

As a complete newbie and hoping to buy my own yak in the near future, I was looking forward to seeing how Terry's Big game compared to Paul's Trident 13.

I went round to Paul's where Tez's yak is currently being stored and helped him load the yaks on the roof bars and we were soon down at the launch site, Half Moon Bay Heysham

PICT0292.jpg

It looked a glorious, if cold, morning with light to no winds and clear blue sky......but as we prepped our vessels, a sea mist rolled in

PICT0293.jpg

It was disappointing to say the least as we were hoping to have a good pad around, see how the yaks handled and take a few pics of the area

PICT0294.jpg

We decided to concentrate on less touring and more fishing and anchored up off a local mark called Throbshire Point Heysham. It's a well known Plaice mark in spring/summer, and though we thought it maybe a bit early in the year for plaice, there could be the odd whiting or flounder still about....

PICT0295.jpg

This was Paul's first time at anchoring after setting up his anchor trolley, so we were both a little nervous..

PICT0296.jpg

Probably thanks to curly's tutelage the other week, the procedure went off without a hitch 8-) as a complete novice to kayaking (though I am a dinghy angler with over 10 years experience of Morecambe Bay), we decided it would be easiest for me to tie off from Paul's yak.....discretion the better part of valour methinks!

PICT0297.jpg

PICT0298.jpg

I was impressed with the stability of the Big Game, and felt comfortable enough to sit side saddle while I adjusted the fittings on seat (which I'd set up cockeyed!)

PICT0299.jpg

One thing about the Big Game we both noticed was its prevalence to swing about in the fairly strong Morecambe Bay tide, I felt quite giddy at one point ;D We both thought that possibly the Big Game isn't suited to anchoring/tieing off from the back, maybe due to the way it 'flares' out in steps at the back or lack of pronounced keel? ???

PICT0300.jpg

PICT0302.jpg

We decided to try our theory out and I tied off from the front of the Big Game onto Paul's yak and this cured the problem instantly, the Big Game sat straight and true in the tide

Picture003.jpg

We were piling on the Black Lug and getting the odd bite but not connecting

PICT0306.jpg

Throbshire point loomed out of the mist as the sun began to burn its way through, and with the fishing being so slow we decided to follow our original plan and have a good tour round

PICT0308.jpg

As we came in closer, it was apparent we weren't the only ones out fishing....

PICT0309.jpg

Paul made the decision to pop ashore for 'ablutions'...... ;D

PICT0311.jpg

I took this as an opportunity to explore the nooks and crannies of the point....

PICT0310.jpg

I quickly found the old landing bay carved out of the rock, used in bygone days by local smugglers.....

PICT0312.jpg

You can still see steps carved into the stones, just visible under the thick blanket of weed....

PICT0313.jpg

PICT0314.jpg

PICT0315.jpg

Paul 'finished' up and we carried on exploring

PICT0316.jpg

PICT0317.jpg

PICT0318.jpg

We decided on another fish and thus another chance to practice anchoring and tying off.....

PICT0321.jpg

I was rewarded with a half decent and unexpected Plaice..

PICT0319.jpg

A bit thin and spent but most welcome nonetheless... :D

PICT0320.jpg

Heysham power stations looming out the mist in the distance......

PICT0322.jpg

This got our hopes up but proved to be the only fish of the day, though to be fair, we wanted to carry on 'prowling' about and trying out the yaks...

PICT0323.jpg

PICT0332.jpg

PICT0333.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Picture007.jpg

PICT0334.jpg

PICT0335.jpg

With it being slack water and the mist totally lifted, we opted for a more challenging paddle offshore to a pair of cardinal markers in the channel......

PICT0336.jpg

PICT0337.jpg

PICT0338.jpg

PICT0339.jpg

Picture049.jpg

PICT0341.jpg

Picture030.jpg

Picture029.jpg

On the way back, looking down Heysham north wall

PICT0342.jpg

On the way back, myself and Paul decided to swap yaks and see how they compared. Paul was immediately struck that the Big Game was harder to paddle and slower than his trident. By this point, I was too tired to take much notice to be honest! ;D

Soon enough, it was time to come back ashore after a most satisfying afternoon, it really opened my eyes to the potential of the kayak

PICT0343.jpg

Some great photos, there. Shame the fish weren't playing ball :(

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE