Surprise, surprise! Record profits for British Gas

ColinW

What a big surprise! British Gas profits jumped by 58%

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8535850.stm

As I was saying last autumn, wholesale gas prices were at a record low and my bills were (are) at a record high. Last week they announced a cut in prices as a softener for the announcement of more obscene profits.

Of course they made sure, before they made the cut, that they could rip us all off right through the coldest months of the year!

They even took the, almost cynically evil, step of promoting fixed tariffs in the knowledge that a price cut was imminent (either at their doing or forced on them by the authorities) to trap the least well off into fixed high bills after the price cut.

They are presently spending £250 million of our money to build a pipeline so that they can export gas to Europe to avoid stockpiling it here, which would cause the price to UK customers to drop. As the slimeball Sam Laidlaw says in the interview, "Gas is 33% more expensive in France", so that is where they want to sell it! Of course it's more expensive in France. France doesn't have the North Sea gas and oil fields, we do.

This company is a disgrace. It is by far the worst example of how privatization has not led to ANY of the benefits we were promised. Re-nationalize it now!

Edited by ColinW

Privatisation has led to one benefit which is useful in this situation - you can take your business elsewhere and tell BG to act like a flamingo and stuff their bill up their...

Got to agree with you there ColinW.

It's discussing what they are getting away with, basically we are getting robbed blind by them and no one seems to be bothered about it !

Really thinking about making my house a gas free zone.

Grrrr makes me so angry !!!!!!!!!!!!

Privatisation has led to one benefit which is useful in this situation - you can take your business elsewhere and tell BG to act like a flamingo and stuff their bill up their...

pity you cant with water :angry:

back to gas i would love to see the head (on a spike) of whoever tipped off BG they were going to be broken up so they could take the gas supply (centrika?) out of BG (if i can remember it was turned into a separate company just before) ,this means whatever is left of BG still has the supply monopoly and its HUGE profits :angry:

the water situation is complicated southern water supply our water, thames water takes it away in the sewers.

an old chesters1 tip is if your rainwater does not go into the sewers you will get a discount on your sewerage standing charge ,ours does not as its on sand and thus the downspouts go into soakaways ,but theoretically stopping your water by diverting it into the soil via butts will also earn you this small (£17 in thames's case) discount but not so easy to prove if your on clay etc

after a phonecall weve just got £200 back from our gas and electric supplier the DD's were to high ,we have done in the past but now it isnt up to the discretion of the company.

to be safe make sure your last bill (about now) is not estimated then see how much credit you have ,rather have it in your bank than theirs.

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson