Best way to back up photos

pfcruleok

Have around 400 photos of my kids on my computer and had a nasty scare when my computer went wrong and i thought i had lost them forever.

So what is the best way to keep a back up of these photos ?

Would a portable hard drive do the job or could i just use a flash drive ?

What sort of Gb would i need ?

Have around 400 photos of my kids on my computer and had a nasty scare when my computer went wrong and i thought i had lost them forever.

If you're putting them on any sort of drive, whether it's your own PC's hard drive or any sort of external drive, then expect it to fail at some point. It may be later or it may be sooner, but it will die eventually. So if your pictures are really important, back them up in as many places and in as many different ways as you can be bothered. Personally, I'd probably mainly rely on one of the big online image hosts like Flickr or Picasa or Photobucket as my main storage. Basically, these are companies that do data storage on a grand scale and will have security and back-up facilities way in excess of anything you could ever dream of at home. It'll be a bit of a pain uploading everything to start with, but a couple of nights of your computer chugging away uploading should do the trick.

Well, how big are the photos?

Thanks for that yorkio

Not sure how big the photos are, as i am at work at the minute. If i open a flickr account will anyone be able to look at the photos ?

Only if you let them. You can hide everything from public view if you want.

The BEST way to back up your photos or any other file is on to magnetic tape, but it's not a cheap option, but then the best seldom cheap.

I've got one like this, not cheap, but I am sure there are posters on AN who would spend as much or more on a reel.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Cory - out of curiosity, why magnetic tape in preference to CD/DVDs?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Cory - out of curiosity, why magnetic tape in preference to CD/DVDs?
I guess there are two answers to that question Newt.

1) Old habits die hard. I like you come from the Corporate side of computing and have always seen tape as the ultimate, if expensive backup and archive medium.

2) You can only get 9GB on a dual layer DVD, and it only takes one little scratch and you probably won't be able to read one afterwards. I do keep photos on DVD's, but my main archive medium is tape, DAT and DLT.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Here's a crazy idea. Why not print them out and put them in an album?
By all means do so. I tend to think of my original pics as my digital 'negatives' though. Edited by corydoras