Best way to back up photos

pfcruleok

Cory - out of curiosity, why magnetic tape in preference to CD/DVDs?
Another reason is that I have DV home movies to back up and they need considerably more than the capacity of a DVD. Blu Ray would cope, you can get 25GB on a Blu Ray disk, but I have more faith in tape. Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

• 2 weeks later...

i keep mine in lots of places ,dvd's ,2 backup external drives and on two internal drives .i backup monthly for all but a freecom drive that backs up all of drive C and any "media" on the other two partitions on my main drive nightly incrementally.

i also do a double (to two different places) using the built in windows backup which is surprisingly good (right click on a drive in my computer and its in "tools") every month.

never got on with tapes too slow and hell to use if your house is damp (one getting stuck almost set fire to the PC years ago)

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

i keep mine in lots of places ,dvd's ,2 backup external drives and on two internal drives .i backup monthly for all but a freecom drive that backs up all of drive C and any "media" on the other two partitions on my main drive nightly incrementally.

i also do a double (to two different places) using the built in windows backup which is surprisingly good (right click on a drive in my computer and its in "tools") every month.

never got on with tapes too slow and hell to use if your house is damp (one getting stuck almost set fire to the PC years ago)

SCSI Tape dives not slow chesters, but ARE expensive and yes dampness will be a problem. Your approach is a good one. Having more than one copy on more than one media type is a sensible way to do it. Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

• 4 weeks later...

I back up my PC monthly with Acronis True Image Home 2010 and retain 2 copies of the resulting backup file on different portable hard drives and leave one copy on the PC. I keep one of these hard drives at work. These backup files can now be encrypted and password protected.

I also have two internal hard drives on my PC in a RAID 1 configuration. I reckon I would have o have some pretty catastrophic bad luck to lose my photos, or any other files for that matter.

I back up my PC monthly with Acronis True Image Home 2010 and retain 2 copies of the resulting backup file on different portable hard drives and leave one copy on the PC. I keep one of these hard drives at work. These backup files can now be encrypted and password protected.

I also have two internal hard drives on my PC in a RAID 1 configuration. I reckon I would have o have some pretty catastrophic bad luck to lose my photos, or any other files for that matter.

That's a good way to do it. An off site copy is always a good idea.

i installed a couple of backup drives on my sis and nieces PC's ,simple job the drives hardware sets everything up leaving you to decide (if you wish) what to backup and away you go .

no software to go wrong etc and no interference from its owners to bugger things up ,USB isnt the fastest but less hassle than her bolshy network drive who often goes for a walk somewhere just when its needed.

seems rather than make drives more reliable makers are just selling them by size ,i doubt an ordinary now and again user could fill 500GB before the drive died nevermind 2 ter :rolleyes:

i had SCSI drives lasting 10 years before they started misbehaving (and they came from skips at the Uni) now drives die far sooner ,far smaller than banks of fan cooled boxes and half inch thick cables though.

took the huge amount of cables and the last enclosure to the dump last month

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson