Dogs and hooks

SeaDooDavid

Picking up on a thread from another site!

Dogs and hooks don't mix! I think the world of my dog (Cassie) but was foolish enough to leave hooks with a little fish bait left on where she could get to it! (distracted by a serious event) I have never felt so bad as when I realised that she had eaten two of the 3 hooks and one had lodged in her throat.

One passed through (thankfully) the "normal way" but she had to be operated on to remove the other. I felt pig sick for a few days while she was in the referral vets centre, I really did!. Please dont be distracted like I was and leave hooks around for your (or anybody elses for that matter) animal to get hold of!.

I have added the picture to compound how nasty this is! Like I say my dog means the world to me and I never thought I would be distracted enough to leave hooks around (it was a very short amount of time!)

All the best SDD~~~~~~~~~~ :sun:

post-6361-1211651331_thumb.jpg

Poor Cassie, she's really looking sorry for herself there :(

It's easily done though, the little buggers will pick up anything if the fancy takes them. One of the pups on a dog forum I moderate had to be operated on after swallowing a large chunk of seaweed he'd found on the beach one day, happily he made a full (and noisy) recovery.

Wishing Cassie a full and speedy recovery :)

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Ouch - thanks for sharing David - will make doubly sure I don't leave rigs lying around now.

had a dog pick up my bait off the peir once david ,luckily it only hooked in the mouth although it required a vet to remove it couldve been worse ,also caught me cat sniffing round my gear a couple of times lucky escape me thinks ,hope cassie recovers well she looks quite old .all the best mark.

had a dog pick up my bait off the peir once david ,luckily it only hooked in the mouth although it required a vet to remove it couldve been worse ,also caught me cat sniffing round my gear a couple of times lucky escape me thinks ,hope cassie recovers well she looks quite old .all the best mark.

Cheers guys :thumbs:

I must admit that is her "RSPCA" look she adpots when a camera is pointed at her!! But hopefully all of us can still learn a lesson or two! I certainly did!. She is 15 years old which is why I was worried about the op (coming round from it is the problem at that age) but she did and is cleared and ready to go on her hols with us to Jersey yehaaa!. Needless to say she will be nowhere near the fishing gear!!!!!

She has come a long way from this pic ha ha! (12 weeks old!)

All the best .... SDD~~~~~~ :sun:

post-6361-1211703298_thumb.jpg

Sadly I did the same, never again. It was so upsetting to see. My dog got a hook stuck in his gum. Cost me £50 to get it out too. The dogs never liked visiting the vets since. To say sorry I decided to feed him on best bass from that very day.

snow001.jpg

He he great picture! Looks like he rules the roost there!!

Forgot to mention the vet cost (hopefully THAT will make people think twice about leaving hooks / gear around too!)

£1,197! (worth every penny in my book but if it makes folk wary then great!!)

SDD~~~~ :sun:

It worries me when dog owners let their dogs rush over to eat my bait, with sharp knives etc around, I wish they would keep their RUDDY DOGS UNDER CONTROL!

Something dog owners never seem to do, or understand. We don't all want a ruddy great dribbling dog slobbering all over our little toddlers, babies, kids, us etc.

Keep dogs on a lead, always, when in a public place.