How will you cope once the river close season kicks in?

Dales

I was just wondering how all you river fans will cope once the close season kicks in and whether you have other plans to fill the gap. For me the close season comes and goes and I don't even notice it. I know many on Anglers Net do alot of fishing on moving water and it might sound like heresary to river aficionado's but I prefer still water fishing and so the close season will come and go for me with out effecting my fishing plans.

About this time every year I think to myself it's been ages since I have had a Chub and decades since I have had a Barbel I must get out on the rivers more once the season re-opens in June, but in my heart of hearts I know it will not happen and my lake fishing plans will smother the wish full thinking of trotting a stick float.

I recently joined Luton AC for the predator fishing on Wyboston South Lagoon and plan to fish for the Zander over the next few months taking time out during the Pike spawning period. Luton AC have a number of stretches of the Ouse and I did think I would give them ago in the summer. But I kind of know even with the best of intentions I will end up back on the lakes. I am about to join a syndicate lake with good quality Tench and Perch and once I add in a few of my favourite day ticket lakes for Carp and a hunt to beat my wels PB of 4 lb it will be March 2011 and another season over and I will be thinking I should have got out on the rivers.

So how will the season close effect you and whether it effects you or not what are your plans for the year? Once the season closes do you count down the days for it to re-open or does it pass almost unnoticed.

I do wish lake owners would stock more Barbel and Chub in to still waters, so I could catch some :D (Light blue touch paper and stand well back)

I think we need more Barbel in our lake systems.

Edited by Dales

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The same rivers with the fly rods and the occasional trip to a little estate lake.

I'm going to ignore your barbel comments :shutup:

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

The same rivers with the fly rods and the occasional trip to a little estate lake.

Oh isn't it nice for those who have trout and coarse fish flowing beneath their feet! The only thing that changes is the methods of catching! :P

I've just had a week off visiting family and in-laws. Not a single days fishing was available. GRRRRR. Thr ivers are a normal level and now I'm at work. I have to get out this weekend.

As for plans, it will be fly fishing for trout, possibly a session or two for sea trout, perhaps even a spring salmon session, but we will see. Any (good) chalk stream fly fishing is a fortune round here. I have been immersed in the Wye and Usk Foundation brochure for the last few days. Therefore, I may even see you on the Lugg Mr Worms. If there's any left after you've been there of course!

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

I have to admit I go bonkers when the season ends especially as I tend to do the work parties and usually see the river under exceptional looking conditions. The insult and injury at the end of this season will be especially difficult as the river has been a challenging place this past 3 months effectively rendering the season a 6 months season. Like most anglers I do find some entertainment at still waters where I can join the hoards of loud beer swilling copy cat tackle tarts who mostly would not have the water craft to tackle any fishery that wasn't stocked to the hilt. The river is a place where I meet well informed skillfull men and women who have exceptional watercraft . Of course it is unfair to label any group of people but by and large that is my experience of it and there are a few still water anglers who know their stuff but just prefer to sit all day in one spot. Good luck to 'em but roll on the new river season for me!

Strangely enough the end of the fishing season coincides precisely with the start of the decorating season.didn't know that till I got married, can't remember who told me...might have been the wife...

Still its a short season I think it ends about mid-june!

IMG_0232.jpg

IMG_0233.jpg

IMG_0212.jpg

Wild brownies, not expensive or exclusive, in fact I used to buy the club card this bit of water is on just for the barbel fishing it also holds.

There is some small stream fishing for wild brownies on the Amalgamated (formerly Bristol Bath & Wilts) card, too, although they were very tricksy trout and defeated me last year.

Stillwater barbel - wash your mouth out! If you want to catch chub and barbel, they live in rivers, and you'll have to go and find them.

By the end of the season each year I'm usually glad it's over to be honest. I do a lot of fishing between September and March (when the rivers are usually at their best) and by mid-March I'm pretty exhausted and ready for a break.

I do fish for tench and bream in the closed season, but because of the distance and expense involved, only two or three times. But these sessions are special and I'm already looking forward to them :)

Apart from that, April - June is fly fishing time. Stalking about on the intimate little Thames tributaries casting for wild brownies splashing at sedges and mayflies as the sun dips...wonderful. Also a few days at Farmoor reservoir fishing for those big, lightning quick, overwintered silver rainbows with floating lines and little buzzers and nymphs.

The time of year I do least fishing is the summer. The rivers are usually in poor shape and the local lakes are full of beered up carpers. Trips after elusive big bream is the only thing that inspires me, and through necessity that's once a month maximum, often less. Throughout the warmer months I am really just killing time waiting for autumn...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Oh, I nearly forgot!

The tope will be running a treat in the spring and early summer.......might even have a bash at some Irish Sea Porgies and Blues :clap2:

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I do fish for tench and bream in the closed season, but because of the distance and expense involved, only two or three times. But these sessions are special and I'm already looking forward to them :)

Bloody hell all that malarky over bobbins for tow or three sessions :rolleyes:

I reckon stocking still waters with barbel and chub would be a good thing. It would keep the carpers seeking the barb's away from the rivers and chub are known to do very well in still waters and grow larger than in the river systems.

I've never actually been fishing for barbel in still waters but if they thrive and keep condition (as they seem to according to people who catch them) I can't see a problem.