How will you cope once the river close season kicks in?

Dales

I think many of you river boys and girls have such a negative view of the still water angler. The large majority of still water anglers are decent responsable people and not ever still water is a dirty hole in the ground.

I love to fish still waters but only or mostly during the warmer spring and summer months. There are some lovely clean still waters where I've no doubt barbel would and do thrive ...I know chub do as I 've fished some still waters for chub since I was a small nuisance. In fact the chub in a particular water I fished even back then where over 5lb and they where breeding quite prolifically every year!

Funny enough I've just had a chub this afternoon from a small still water next to the small river I fish and it was pristein. I had another 5 fish from the river after whilst trotting which weren't in any better nick. I know one of the bailiffs told me that a chap had a chub weighing in at 9lb in the still water several months back. He didn't see the fish but reckons the chap who caught it doesn't lie about his catches.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

quote name='Anderoo' date='Mar 8 2010, 01:40 PM' post='3120496']

Throughout the warmer months I am really just killing time waiting for autumn...

Mee too I really need to find something to fish for in mid to late summer!

Rich

You guys are playing a different game to the one I'm involved in. The last couple of months for me have been a real grueler, culminating in a terrible last week

In my last three fishing trips with nearly 20 hours of fishing, the biggest fish I've snaffled is a 2oz chublet... :o

The temperatures have been a touch artic and the rivers flooded.

I've tried a variety of tactics but nothing has worked. I've fished alongside friends who have caught so it might just be an unlucky run.

But my personal best barbel of 12lb 2 oz came out one lovely warm June day.

I'll be out fishing this Friday hoping for a turn in my fortunes.

But I share the sentiments of the late great Fred J Taylor who was once asked what he thought about winter fishing, and said 'I'll be glad when I've had enough of this!'.

Roll on summer! :)

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

I have two lakes within a kilometer of the house. One is stunning with lilies covering it in summer and natural banks but the owners don't allow fishing. The other is available on a £20 a year season ticket but it's full of water pigs and that makes it not worth fishing.

I'll stick to the rivers but limit myself to legal methods until June.

Mind you, what I wouldn't give to be able to get on the first lake (Podmore pool in Kidderminster) with a kayak or a float tube and a pike fly outfit in April and May.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Badly, so I'm trying not to think about it by ODing on it this week. A hour and a half after work every night followed by a grand-finale at the weekend is the plan (3 chub up to about 3.5 lb and around 4lb of silvers last night).

Edited by lutra

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Bloody hell all that malarky over bobbins for tow or three sessions :rolleyes:

I reckon stocking still waters with barbel and chub would be a good thing. It would keep the carpers seeking the barb's away from the rivers and chub are known to do very well in still waters and grow larger than in the river systems.

I've never actually been fishing for barbel in still waters but if they thrive and keep condition (as they seem to according to people who catch them) I can't see a problem.

It would be a good thing if your view on fishing was diametrically opposed to mine. Chuck in some sturgeon and burbot too why not ? Barbel live in rivers - full stop.

Not really bothered about the close season...haven't had a single pike into double figures this season as they're all gone...not just me who has noticed that either! Started well with a nice 10.8 barbel then season went downhill..I think the handful of Barbel around the 8/9lb mark was the highlight along with a 15lb cat from Todber.

Got a couple of private lakes lined up for the close season which do contain carp up to 30lb...not really a big carp fisherman but am looking forward to keeping it old school down there (single rod, sweetcorn & meat baits and even the fly rod!).

Plans for 2010..I think catching my first tench would be good and I know Cheddar reservoir is just the place to do it. Catfishing on the cards again, okay takes a lot of orgainization but worth it to see those amazing and powerful fish :)

Barbel live in rivers - full stop.

Mmm, not quite right barbel often live in still waters of their own choice being stuck there after floods . It's a known fact that chub thrive and grow to specimine size in still waters, usually outgrowing their river brothers and sisters.

At the end of the day if there's enough people want to fish for barbel in still waters then the owners will oblige to keep their customers happy. Personally I haven't got a problem with it if that's what the fish have been farmed for.

Barbel live in rivers - full stop

Except that they don't.

This was done to death a few years ago but the one and only time that I've ever been able to watch barbel feeding in really gin clear water (you could see the detail of every scale) at very close range was in Lake Lucerne in Switzerland. That fish was quite clearly both native to and happy in the lake - if it wasn't, it had only to swin 300m and it could go live in the river.

I watched big bream and perch feeding in the same weedbed.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

? Barbel live in rivers - full stop.

But its not. We have loads of Barbel here swimming quite naturally in the huge reservoirs we have.

They swim in and out through the rivers that feed the reservoirs, ive caught loads.