How will you cope once the river close season kicks in?

Dales

Doesn't that show that barbel will enter lakes, rather than that they will live in them?

Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if large, clean lakes can support native barbel populations - but this:

Lake_Lucerne_Weggis.jpg

is a bit different to this:

garbo_carp_match2.jpg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just wondering how all you river fans will cope once the close season kicks in and whether you have other plans to fill the gap.

Don't think I'm going to cope very well Dales. Firstly I'll de-winterise my motorbike and doff doff around to some club river stretches which I haven't tried yet, it'll give me somewhere to ride and it's always worth exploring when you can't fish (can't kick yourself for not having a rod with you).

Then I'm going to blow some megabucks on a new centrepin, funded by the sale of others.

After that I'm not sure, NAA does have some nice stillwaters to fish so I'd be daft not to try but I can't see me sitting there for hours.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

In short

April work party at CAA club and maybe a trip to a day ticket carp fishery that used to be a syndicate lake until recently.

May CAA is open and i will be on broads green mostly, also boat trip with sea section going for smoothies.

June i will join Billericay Angling and want to fish some of thier ponds that are carp free but have lots of tench bream roach rudd, also they have some cracking mature carp lakes

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

Any one NOT going to go fishing during the close season? or am I one of the few?

It's obviously a purely personal choice and I think the fish deserve a bit of a break from anglers

(although I haven't been bothering them much myself recently!)

Maybe I'm just a bit of a masochist and enjoy the pain of waiting for June

Steve shouldn't your cardinal tetras be back in the river amazon then ?

Budgies should be back in Australia etc, etc the list is pretty endless.

Possibly, although I think I provide them with a reasonable approximation of a small Amazonian stream biotope. I've seen barbel and sterlet for sale at the local garden centre, and wouldn't buy those for a garden pond. I'd be reluctant to keep anything I didn't think I could provide with a good habitat, and I don't like keeping birds in cages.

I'd be reluctant to keep anything I didn't think I could provide with a good habitat, and I don't like keeping birds in cages.

Noble sentiments. I for one agree with Steve.

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

You lot are lucky to have the choice.

there are no coarse fish in the rivers up here, nearest grayling and possibly roach about an hour and a half drive south.

There is a lake that contains coarse fish about half an hours drive, but it has been frozen since the end of November.

All of the Pike lochs are frozen and have been for over 3 months.

One of the local trout fisheries have had some open water from aereators but my favourite at Haddo has been ice free for just two days since the beginning of December.

So when I can finally go fishing again I am off to wherever I think I can get a bite.

There is a lake about 80 miles south of here that contains roach, chub, barbel, carp and tench and there is nothing I would rather be doing than sitting at the edge of it, fishing the pole,for whatever is in the mood and watching a float move, and that is exactly what I will be doing as soon as the weather allows.

Ironically the weather looks as if it might be improving a bit and I am working with Mountain Rescue over on Skye for the next two weekends

Oh well :)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

In short

April work party at CAA club and maybe a trip to a day ticket carp fishery that used to be a syndicate lake until recently.

May CAA is open and i will be on broads green mostly, also boat trip with sea section going for smoothies.

June i will join Billericay Angling and want to fish some of thier ponds that are carp free but have lots of tench bream roach rudd, also they have some cracking mature carp lakes

I'm joining Billericay too Peter, they look like they've got some very decent stretches of water for the membership fee.

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"